Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player 12 freezes after brief use  (Read 4887 times)

deanbrat

Windows Media Player 12 freezes after brief use
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:57:52 AM »
   I'm running a 18 month old HP Pavilion a6750y with AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad-Core processor 64 bit, 8GB system memory, 750GB hard drive, ATI Radeon HD3200 Graphics which came with Vista and a free upgrade to Windows 7 which I'm now running.
   The Windows Media Player 12 has never worked properly - it will work after a fresh boot for a few minutes (sometimes longer) but will always eventually freeze, also freezing widows.  A reboot will allow it to play again for a short while.
   I've run the on-board troubleshooting and get this result:  "Configuration settings might be set incorrectly. Detected 

Unexpected Windows Media Player behavior might be due to configuration errors."

I've spent much time trying to find an answer at Microsoft's site and many searches to no avail.   I have reinstalled the graphics system and drivers, ran Radeon Catalyst Control Center without any solution.  I've worked around this with VLC Media Player and SMPlayer but I would prefer to have the windows programs working.
   Would appreciate any help I can get.  Thank You.

Dean

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows Media Player 12 freezes after brief use
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:23:02 PM »