Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer acting weird, won't recogize numbers correctly?  (Read 2656 times)

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

computer acting weird, won't recogize numbers correctly?
    « on: April 11, 2011, 05:48:10 PM »
    I've been having problems using paypal today and when I called them today, they checked and cannot figure out why. I went to send an email to the buyer and you have to enter one of those 6 digit security numbers at the end to prove I'm not automated. When I entered the 6 digit number it said it was wrong and it is clear as day. I did this approx 5 more times. What's up with this? This may be why the paypal wasn't working.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: computer acting weird, won't recogize numbers correctly?
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »
    You need to resolve this with papal.

But do this first.
    Go to the house or office of a trusted friend. See if you nan reproduce the problem on his computer.

If it works alright on your friends computer, then suspect that you have a very clever key logger on your PC. It is a form of mallware and needs to be removed.

But if the same thing oculars on your friends computer, contact PayPal customer support.

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »
      I was later able to go to my wifes computer and the transaction went off without a hitch. So what should I do. I had just run Malware Anti-malware earlier because it was running slow, showed nothing, and I ran it again today, again showed nothing. I recently ran CC Cleaner and use AVG antivirus. I'm running windows 7 on an HP system only a month old.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:06:06 AM »
      Until you fix this use her computer for transactions.
      Some things you can try:
      1. Contact HP and tell them you will send the thing back if they don't help you. (Worth a try.)
      2. Create a new user account on you HP PC , log into the new local user account with administrator level. Download a copy of another browser. Turn off AVG anti-virus. See if you can get into the PayPal thing with the new local user account.
      (They are a few esoteric things the go wrong with the keyboard map of a user. Hard to explain.)

If the above fails, go to the anti-virus forum and ask for help from the experts there.  They know how to spot rogue spy-ware.