Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 5597 times)

stalesweetness

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows 7
    « on: April 14, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »
    I am trying to install windows 7 but it is not working. It says loading files and goes through the bar on the bottom of the screen. It then goes to a screen that says STARTING WINDOWS and then freezes.

Any thoughts??

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Windows 7
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:33:43 PM »
    Sharpie version of Win7? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stalesweetness

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:19:56 AM »
      Whats a sharpie version? it is brand new just out of the box. Full not and upgrade.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
      Do DVD movies work in that drive ? ? It may be the issue...

MomentNowComputers

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 07:58:09 AM »
      Do you have any USB devices plugged in?

stalesweetness

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 08:30:29 AM »
        I would assume that DVDs would work in the drive since it is a DVD/CD burner.

I do not have any usb devices plugged in.

It is a brand new build less than a month old. I tried adding Ubuntu but it didnt work. Now I bought Windows 7 and it is having this problem,.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 09:56:37 AM »
        The only reason i asked about a sharpie version is we get an awful lot of people here trying to install bootleg copies of Windows...
        Since it appears this isn't the case there are 2 things that it could be:

1) My main suspect right now since you mentioned Ubuntu won't work either would lead me to believe it's a fault with the optical drive...
        Easiest fix for that would be to borrow a known working one and swap it in there...about 20 minutes time to do....

2) I have read many issues since Vista of installs hanging with more than 2G of RAM...you could try the install with only 1 stik of RAM...if this does the trick simply add the RAM back after installation.

The only other thing that comes to mind would be issues with the HDD itself.
        Best of Luck and keep us posted...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »
        I am trying to install windows 7 but it is not working. It says loading files and goes through the bar on the bottom of the screen. It then goes to a screen that says STARTING WINDOWS and then freezes.

Any thoughts??

Try and do a start up repair; after "install"* try booting from the DVD again, be sure to be around, by which I mean while this may seem like a good time to get coffee it's not :P, because most windows discs require you to press a key before they will "allow" themselves to be booted (both a blessing and a curse, really). In any case, assuming you are able to get the DVD booted to the recovery screen*, choose your language options, click next, and then choose "Repair my computer", select your operating system drive and click next (again) if nothing is listed, click next anyway. At this point, it should give you a list of recovery tools (repair, system restore, command prompt, diagnostic, etc); here you would choose the "repair" option. Depending on the problems it might prompt you for additional information or reboot the machine during the repair. If it doesn't work it should give you some sort of summary of the problem.

If that doesn't work, can you boot into safe mode? (F8 during boot, safe mode) If so, it's probably a driver issue, likely resolvable if you get the proper drivers installed (specifically chipset drivers). If you can't even get into safe mode, try disconnecting all non-essential peripherals (USB hubs, flash drives, external hard drives, phones, MP3 players, etc) and try again.

Also, are you sure it's a permanent hang? It might just take a hella-long time to finish. Either way, it could be caused by a memory card reader plugged into a USB header; many computers come with devices like this installed in that fashion; In the BIOS, check for an option for "Legacy USB Storage Detection" and disable it, and see if that helps.

Another common cause for this problem is the power supply, this seems to be one of the primary causes of this issue, according to my googlings). you could also try switching your hard drive from AHCI/SATA to IDE/Compatible in the BIOS.

lastly: you mention this is a relatively recent build: if it's using a Corsair 950TX, I'd nearly bet money that is the cause of the problems.

*: Because almost all versions of windows perform part of their installation after they reboot the computer into the windows GUI, I'm not really sure if Windows 7 will have been "installed" entirely by this point. If I was forced to guess I'd say yes, but I'm not sure, thus this footnote).

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

stalesweetness

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 10:36:47 AM »
          I will work through these last couple ideas and let you know!!

Thanks.

stalesweetness

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »
            How long is too long to be held up?  It's been sitting onthe same screen for an hour.

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 04:14:52 PM »
            5 minutes is too long.

stalesweetness

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »
              Try and do a start up repair; after "install"* try booting from the DVD again, be sure to be around, by which I mean while this may seem like a good time to get coffee it's not , because most windows discs require you to press a key before they will "allow" themselves to be booted (both a blessing and a curse, really). In any case, assuming you are able to get the DVD booted to the recovery screen*, choose your language options, click next, and then choose "Repair my computer", select your operating system drive and click next (again) if nothing is listed, click next anyway. At this point, it should give you a list of recovery tools (repair, system restore, command prompt, diagnostic, etc); here you would choose the "repair" option. Depending on the problems it might prompt you for additional information or reboot the machine during the repair. If it doesn't work it should give you some sort of summary of the problem.

This doesnt work because I cant get to any of it.

If that doesn't work, can you boot into safe mode? (F8 during boot, safe mode) If so, it's probably a driver issue, likely resolvable if you get the proper drivers installed (specifically chipset drivers). If you can't even get into safe mode, try disconnecting all non-essential peripherals (USB hubs, flash drives, external hard drives, phones, MP3 players, etc) and try again.

I got to safe mode and picked the safe mode option. it has a bunch of files run down and then it gets stuck again. says please wait at the bottom and then does nothing. the options i have are the following:
              SAFE MODE (tried and froze)
              SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
              SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT (tried and froze)
              ENABLE BOOT LOGGING
              ENABLE LOW-RESOLUTION VIDEO
              DIRECTORY SERVICES RESTORE MODE
              DEBUGGING MODE
              DISABLE AUTOMATIC RESTART ON SYSTEM FAILURE
              DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMENT
              START WINDOWS NORMALLY

Also, are you sure it's a permanent hang? It might just take a hella-long time to finish. Either way, it could be caused by a memory card reader plugged into a USB header; many computers come with devices like this installed in that fashion; In the BIOS, check for an option for "Legacy USB Storage Detection" and disable it, and see if that helps.

It hung for an hour and I restarted. Found the Legagcy USB thing and disabled it.

Another common cause for this problem is the power supply, this seems to be one of the primary causes of this issue, according to my googlings). you could also try switching your hard drive from AHCI/SATA to IDE/Compatible in the BIOS.

Didnt see this but may have overlooked it.

lastly: you mention this is a relatively recent build: if it's using a Corsair 950TX, I'd nearly bet money that is the cause of the problems.

I do not have this power source.
              *: Because almost all versions of windows perform part of their installation after they reboot the computer into the windows GUI, I'm not really sure if Windows 7 will have been "installed" entirely by this point. If I was forced to guess I'd say yes, but I'm not sure, thus this footnote).

stalesweetness

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 06:23:13 PM »
                I am getting the optical drive and Hard drive replaced with identical parts but want to try to figure this out to avoid having to wait another couple days for those parts.

stalesweetness

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 05:31:05 PM »
                  Thanks to those who helped in this. I ended up messing with the BIOS and then reseting them and everything worked. It installed and is running now.