Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Speech recognition question  (Read 2815 times)

jotayhen

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Speech recognition question
    « on: April 23, 2011, 10:43:09 AM »
    I recently downloaded a trial version of a program that I was interested in and that came bundled with Sapi 5.1.  I am operating Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit) and, before I realized I actually had Sapi 5.3 already installed I mistakenly clicked "OK" when the program asked permission to place Sapi 5.1 on my system.  Now I wish I had left "well enough alone" and I am worried I have corrupted and/or removed my original Sapi 5.3 files.  I uninstalled the trial version of this program and I see no evidence of Sapi 5.1 in the programs listing in my Control Panel.  Although I have a good microphone/headset combo, my speech recognition program does not work well at all.  I am not even able to complete the speech tutorial and so I believe I have done something to my Sapi 5.3 files.  How to I reconstitute those files without disrupting all of the drivers, settings, programs, etc. that are already present on my system - if that is possible?  If not, could someone please give me some instruction as to how to proceed?  I have the original OEM installation disk of Windows 7 but I am afraid to do anything with it.  Thanks very much for reading this post.

Respectfully,

John

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Speech recognition question
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 10:52:30 AM »
    Reinstall Sapi 5.3

jotayhen

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 01:10:45 PM »
      Hi Allan,

Thanks very much for reading and giving me an answer.  Unfortunately, I am not sure how to re-install Sapi 5.3.  Do I insert my original disk?  If so, what do I do next?  I sorry to be so uninformed.  If you know of a site where I can read about just how to do that I will head over in that direction and try to learn something!  Thanks for your patience.

Respectfully,

John

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »
      Yes, if you have the original program disk just insert it and reinstall the app.

jotayhen

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 02:23:56 PM »
        Hi Allan,

I attempted to find a site that offered a Sapi 5.3 download and, in looking, I found out that you can not download Sapi 5.3.  It is apparently built in to the Windows 7 operating system.  Therefore, I believe I must involve the original Windows 7 disk (which I have).  I am faced with either finding the appropriate Sapi 5.3 files and figuring out where to put them or re-installing Windows 7 which I am afraid I do not have the confidence or the experience to do.  I put the original Windows 7 OEM disk in my DVD drive and saw that I could either copy and download files from that disk or I could "upgrade" or "install" the Windows 7 operating system.  I was really hoping for a way to use the original disk to "repair" Windows 7 but I do not see that option.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John