Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compatibility Between 110v Computer and 220v Printer, Possible? ( Please, Help!)  (Read 3890 times)

Genevievex0x0

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hello guys :), I read before registration that there's many experts here available to give trustworthy advice, so I wondered if any of you could please help me out, this is my inquiry:

I have a computer that works with an electricity voltage of a 110v, power outlets where I live work with 220v, I use an adapter and as a result my computer works fine. The problem is.. I would like to connect a printer to my computer and this printer works with 220v, I'm really worried that doing that might damage my computer also I wonder if they would be compatible at all.

Thanks in advance and thank you guys for your patience :)
    Kind regards, Gene.

Lumpy44

Beginner
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    I can't see the way the printer is powered and the way the computer is powered being much of an issue, as long as they are powered independently. Would the only connection between them be usb? If so then I can't see it being a problem.
    Not an electrical genius by any means so you might want to let one of the genius's round here weigh in.

Salmon Trout

They will work fine together.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    I am sure this will work fine. I am living in a country which uses 220v and my old laptop from the US only had a 110v adapter and it worked fine with a 220v printer from here.

Salmon Trout

Digital electronics works on low DC voltages, 5 to 12 volts usually. Inside each piece of equipment, PC, printer, monitor, modem, scanner, router, whatever, there is a section usually called the "power supply". Or sometimes you have an external "wall wart" for the smaller items. This converts the AC voltage from the wall outlet to the low DC voltage used internally. You can connect any piece of equipment to any other with USB or serial or parallel cables without worrying. Just like if you had a 220 volt TV and a 110 volt VCR or DVD player.

Genevievex0x0

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Hello guys, thanks a lot for your prompt and very helpful answers, I really appreciate them!  :)

Lumpy44, yes, the only connection between the two would be usb. I thought voltage was an issue because in a way it was to start using the computer without any worries, but as you said and after what Salmon Trout explained I'm sure they'll work fine.
      Thanks a lot for your answer. :)

Salmon Trout, Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation, I really appreciate it, thank you so much! :)

Quaxo, thank you very much for your answer, I hope I have the same good experience as you did, I'm sure I will. :)

Thank you guys again for your prompt and very helpful advice. :) :) :)
      Gene