Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Password problem  (Read 4783 times)

mercy667

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Password problem
    « on: May 15, 2011, 12:11:51 PM »
    Hi,  I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 and Windows Vista.  One day I tried to log on as the "owner" and it asked me for a password.  I don't remember creating a password.  I can log on as a guest..but I can't download, upgrade, anything without the "Owner" password.   I followed the steps to reseting the password.  I created a password reset disc, then followed the steps to reset the password.  It took me all the way through and asked me to create a new password.  I created the new password and hit "finish" and I got an error message saying "an error occurred when reseting password"  and that's it.  I've tried it a dozen times and always the same thing. 

Can a computer repair shop fix this?  Or do I have to uninstall Windows and reinstall it?   If so how do I do this and how much does it cost?  I don't care about backing up any files I just want to wipe it out and reinstall it.

HELP! 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Password problem
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:42:02 PM »
    This forum is read by many people. Publishing in formation about how to reset a password is contrary to the objectives of this forum. You need to get help from a person that understands the problem and is willing to help you.
    However, you can search for the words password reset and find many suggestions.

Recent s studies have shown the use of a computer does not improve a persons mental skills. Rather, just the opposite. Therefor, it you really own this computer and can not remember the password, it is time for you to get away from the computer and do something that will improve your memory mental powers.

mercy667

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:51:18 AM »
      What a charming guy.....If YOU took the time to read my post thoroughly you would see that what I'm asking is how to wipe out windows and reinstall it OR if someone AT A COMPUTER REPAIR SHOP could fix this...I did NOT ask for help in reseting my password. 

I think YOU need to step away from the computer...maybe itll improve YOUR mental powers.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 11:06:29 AM »
      Now now! Not so much abuse, please!

Have you tried calling Dell and asking for a "reset password"?

mercy667

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:25:24 AM »
        Yes and they walked me through the reset disc and all the way through to when I get that error message and they didn't know what to do at that point.  I was just wondering if anyone thought it was worth it to take it in to a shop or if I should just wipe out Windows and reinstall it.  And if so, how do I go about doing that?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:35:44 AM »
        Yes and they walked me through the reset disc and all the way through to when I get that error message and they didn't know what to do at that point.  I was just wondering if anyone thought it was worth it to take it in to a shop or if I should just wipe out Windows and reinstall it.  And if so, how do I go about doing that?

Well, a visit to a repair shop is one option, but if you have either a Windows install disk or a Dell recovery disk, you could try using those. Do you have either of these?

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
          • Programming Blog
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:58:26 AM »
        Have you tried calling Dell and asking for a "reset password"

Don't rely on those support people so much, they don't help much. Tell me otherwise. I don't care.

What a charming guy.....If YOU took the time to read my post thoroughly you would see that what I'm asking is how to wipe out windows and reinstall it OR if someone AT A COMPUTER REPAIR SHOP could fix this...I did NOT ask for help in reseting my password.

You said the password reset disk didn't work. You can try the one I posted in the link below. As for wiping and formatting, that's trivial. You can ask someone at a shop to do it for you.

I was just wondering if anyone thought it was worth it to take it in to a shop or if I should just wipe out Windows and reinstall it.

Don't give up yet.

Yes and they walked me through the reset disc and all the way through to when I get that error message and they didn't know what to do at that point.

Use this reset disk. It says it's for NT, but it works for XP, etc too.
        http://www.pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Scroll down to the Download part, and download the first zip. Burn it to CD. Reboot and change the boot order.
        YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 12:33:33 PM »
        Allow me to explain why I gave an answer that sounded rude. Based on   his post:
        1. There is no way to know who the OP is other that what he says. He is ready to wipe the entire disc clean. Would that not suggest he has not used the computer very much?
        2. The owner of a new computer should have made a backup plan soon after the purchase. Vista has tools for making a suitable backup system.
        3. By now most people are aware that computers need some kind of security. How could he forget a password if he was the one who did it recently? (Hint: try your nickname.)
        4. Dell has very good support. But you have to spend some time on there web site. They know who is the registered owner. His bad mouthing appears to a subterfuge for not using the Dell resources. Dell would nail him.
        5. This site gets get lots of requests for password reset and reasonable methods it can be found in a search on this site.
        6. A well-trained  technician who knows Dell laptops can install Vista on the laptop without the need to use a bootleg disc. The product key and the legit Dell recovery disc would be used to put the computer back  to the original state.

His reluctance to pay for his alleged mistake suggests that he may not be the real owner of the computer. A sorry owner should be willing to go to great lengths to recover his system. My critical observation is only from his post and his response.

If indeed, he is the rightful owner, my apologies.  :)

mercy667

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 12:34:03 PM »
          Thank you!  I'll try it.  And I agree, I've never had much luck when taking my laptop to a shop. 

mercy667

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »
            First off, I'm a woman.  Secondly as I said in my original post I NEVER created a password this just started popping up when I tried to log on.  I VERY much own my computer and I'm not very tech savvy so I had no idea I had to back anything up or even how to do it, I don't know anything about bootlegs..or that they even existed.  And lastly, even had I forgotten the password,  In this day and age where you need passwords for everything I HARDLY think I would be the first person...or an idiot...for for forgetting a password, which is why everything has the "forgot your password??" field.  Apparently it's not such an uncommon thing.  Anyway, @ Linux..thank you so much for your help.

mercy667

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 12:42:06 PM »
              And by the way "geek after dark" thank you for making my first time in this forum such a pleasant experience.  And for making me feel like an idiot. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
              And by the way "geek after dark" thank you for making my first time in this forum such a pleasant experience.  And for making me feel like an idiot.
              My apology. I failed to recall others have had the same problem and I should have been more helpful. In the future I will try to be less judgment of people.

Loss of Vista password may happen after a Microsoft update. This is documented by Microsoft and I should have read that over before I posted. Again my apologies. I am the idiot, not you.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »
              To be fair to the ol' Geek, this site gets plenty of "how can I bypass a laptop password?" questions. They are often accompanied by the most outlandish supporting stories - the kids, wife, girlfriend, etc had been fiddling with it. Sometimes the original posters respond angrily and aggressively to our questions aimed at clarifying exactly what happened. We are aware that laptops are portable and easily acquired by other people than their legal owners. Sometimes they are sold on to unwitting third parties who may perhaps deserve sympathy but are still not going to get password cracking help. We are also aware that this site is indexed by Google so that others than the original poster and the repliers may come here to read threads. Therefore we feel we have a responsibility not only to the asker of the question, genuine or not (and we have no way of establishing this) but also to the owners of laptops in general. I share his attitude of caution about "forgotten password" stories. So don't feel too bad, Geek.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 01:49:59 PM »
              Thank you Salmon-Trout for the words of encouragement.

Now here is why I must be an idiot.
              Re: *!NOT your usual Vista Password Problem - Incorrect Password even every time even after resetting

Same exact problem here. This was fresh install of Vista and was not
              able to log on with correct password. I gave Vista the benefit of the
              doubt and reinstalled the OS. Still would not take the password I
              created. I work in an IT department so I have installed hundreds upon
              hundreds of O/S's and have never once seen anything like this !!

This is a part of a thread  that came from a post back in December 2008. It seems that it has gone on to become a popular topic on other forums. Here is a recent one:
              http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-systems-and/NOT-your-usual-Vista-Password-Problem-Incorrect-Password-every/td-p/36959

It might be the same poster, but others report that same thing. So it is not just one user going around and spreading a rumor. Microsoft has not given a clear answer, even on forums linked with Microsoft. Until Microsoft gives an clear rebuttal, we have to assume that it is true.

Checking other forums shows the issue has NOT been resolved for all cases. If it was a flaw, MS should have fixed it by now. What do you think?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 02:00:52 PM »
              What do you think?

I think the problem you read about was about 2 years ago, and I would try this: at the login screen, do control/alt/delete to access the screen where you can change the user name to Administrator. Assuming you didn't enter a password for the Administrator, simply tab to password and hit enter. This brings you to the administrator screen where you can hit start, run, control userpasswords2, and enter. This allows you to change your username password from whatever it's become back to blank or whatever you wish. Now restart and you'll be able to access your own stuff again.

Another option is a System Restore from safe mode. Personally I think Vista owners should do themselves a favour and save up enough money to buy a Windows 7 upgrade. I guess this doesn't help people in the OP's position.