Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old question but is it worth it quad core vs i7  (Read 2549 times)

Serune

Old question but is it worth it quad core vs i7
« on: July 09, 2011, 05:12:23 PM »
 I have an intel quad core 2.6, with 8 gb of ram ddr2 800, and a ATI Radeon 4590 500 mb ram Video Card. My hdd is an Hitachi 1Tb 7700 rpm.  I use my pc mostly for photoshop/ websites, and music.  The onlygame i play is world ofwarcraft cataclysm.  Is it worth it for me to Build a new pc with an i7 3.02 and about the same specs?  I mean i know there is a difference between 2.6 and 3.02 but is it reallyworth it for what i use it for?  My os is win 7 64 ultimate/ ubuntu 10 dual boot.My case is a thermaltake v9, with 4 fans : 2x 230mm fans on top and on the side, 2x 120 mm  for the hdd and the back.   My Core uses a  Cooler Master Hyper N520 .  My computer is always cold and i clean it every 2 months.  For gaming and graphic design is it worth it to go for the change or should i keep my current system and perhaps just change the video card for a more powerful one?One last question lol, if the answer is no, for how long do you think my current system could last until it becomes  a crappy pc. :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Old question but is it worth it quad core vs i7
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:12:48 PM »
My computer is a similarly configured machine (quad core [email protected], 8GB DDR2, Geforce 9800GT, 1TB+750GB drive, etc., going on two years since I built it, I think)

Personally I've not even thought of ever upgrading it. It still runs anything I throw at it (stuff like 3ds max, Pinnacle studio 15, Flash CS5, Paint Shop Pro, Visual Studio, Eclipse, FL Studio, FamTracker etc. all running at the same time) and games like GTA4, Just Cause 2, Crysis, etc run without any issues. The only problems I've had so far is that the Q8200 doesn't actually have any virtualization hardware support, so I cannot run OS/2 as a guest OS in most Virtual Machine programs.

I think a good point might be if you have to ask if it's worth it, it's probably not; but if you want it, that can be reason enough.

To be honest, as far as I'm concerned, there really is no such thing as a "crappy PC", generally speaking; after all, even 286 machines still find their use as embedded systems; of course crappy for a given task is definitely the case; a good gaming machine in 1999 might have been a Pentium 3 with 512MB of RAM, but nowadays people seem to think that is useless for anything, but that is simply not the case.

We have to remember, to only reason we ever think our computers are "crappy" is a result of seeing "better" machines in commercials/magazines or hearing about them; I was literally using a 350Mhz machine for 5-6 years leading into 2007 or so and as long as I understood it's limitations I didn't have any problems. When I finally upgraded, what I was finally able to do that I hadn't even considered previously was overwhelming.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Old question but is it worth it quad core vs i7
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 02:40:37 AM »
I wanted to build a new core i7 machine last year (just because), but decided not to since my current machine does everything I need it to. (Core2 Quad 8200 2.33Ghz, 8Gb DDR2, GeForce GTX 260, 10,000 RPM/150Gb & 7200 RPM/1Tb)
If it gets to the point where I actually need a better machine, then I will build another. I don't know when that will be, but by then there will likely be something better than Core i7 ect.
 Although if you have the funds and want to have the latest technology then go for it. I understand perfectly.  :)
I don't know how long it will be before your PC will be "crappy" but I'd say it will be quite a while.  ;)