Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disc never stops, F8 doesn't work, and Windows Explorer encounters error  (Read 4103 times)

Madgri

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
I new in this forum, I'm not a tech guy and I'm too old to become on of those. So here are the 3 problems I've found in my PC so far. Excuse me if I didn't post them correctly.

I have Windows XP Professional , Office 2007 (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and Tools only) and ESET Smart Security suite 4. Both are updated; ESS notifies me whenever a Windows critical update is available and I download and install it.

My PC, which is used my me only, has two physical discs:
•  A 60 GB unit for Windows and its installed programs only
•  A 350 GB unit with three partitions: D, for Data only, including Outlook .pst files; E, for executable programs I want to keep just in case; and F, for backups (IE favorites, Firefox settings, Opera settings, Chrome settings, Skype contacts, ESS and Outlook Junk E-mail blacklists and alike).

Even though my PC is working fine, I discovered it presents at least three different problems.

DISC PROBLEM

Months ago I notice that one of the two disks (I don’t know which one) is working all the time, even when my PC is doing nothing and no program is open. I can hear the typical sound and the disk light flicks some times.

So, this past weekend I decided trying to figure out what could be the reason for that.

Too many programs at start up time is not because using  WinPatrol I allow only 4 programs to start.

I run several anti-malware programs, like:
•   Malwarebytes’
•   ESET online
•   BitDefender online
•   Kasperspy online
•   ClamWin Portable
•   Trend Micro House Call
•   Etc.

and no one found nothing. According to all of them my PC is malware free.

I defragmented all discs, run the Error Checking, and even remove from my PC the Outlook .pst files --to prevent Outlook to start compacting them automatically-- and leave the PC with no program open, but the problem continues.

Using the Windows XP CD I run the Systems Files Checker. Everything is OK.

As per advises found in this forum,
•   I got my PC off network, but problems continues
•   Both discs have a lot of free space: C, 30 GB; D, 40 GB; E, 25 GB; F, 110 GB.
•   Windows Task Mgrs > Processes shows 95 to 98 CPU usage

F8 KEY PROBLEM

For my surprise, when trying to run anti-malware programs from inside Safe Mode I discovered that the F8 key doesn’t work at all, so I had to enter using MSCONFIG.

WINDOWS EXPLORER PROBLEM

Whenever I open My Computer, and right-click on any of the 4 disc drives icons, I got this message: “Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close”.

However, I can continue doing what I want to do, like open Properties and so on, but as soon as I close that message, everything disappeared from my monitor for 2 seconds and then the monitor come back again to show previous status.

This message doesn’t show up when I right-click any My Computer menu component other than disc units.

I don’t know what else to do, but since My PC is running fine I will do whatever necessary but reinstalling Windows.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

T.C.

Beginner

Welcome to the C.Hope forums.

Months ago I notice that one of the two disks (I don’t know which one) is working all the time, even when my PC is doing nothing and no program is open.

It is not possible for your pc to be running without at least one program open, that one is Windows XP, which is really a whole heap of programs.   Windows will access the system disk at regular or irregular intervals possibly just to ensure that it's still alive or maybe write an entry in one of the system logs or say hello to the pagefile.  Disk activity with no user applications running is normal.

For my surprise, when trying to run anti-malware programs from inside Safe Mode I discovered that the F8 key doesn’t work at all, so I had to enter using MSCONFIG.

Safe Mode is a very basic operating mode, lots of things are not available because the files necessary for them to operate are not loaded at Safe Mode boot time, I guess the files necessary to enliven Function keys are not loaded.  None of the Function keys are alive at my desktop.

Whenever I open My Computer, and right-click on any of the 4 disc drives icons, I got this message: “Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close”.

Am not sure of the cause of this problem, perhaps someone more knowledgeable will take this up, but I would start by running SFC /SCANNOW to replace any dodgy system files.  Have your XP install disk handy, the .exe may display a message to insert it.

Good luck.

Madgri

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    In my disc problem there’s no intervals, it’s present all the time and sounded just like when I run an antivirus full scan, but with a difference: while antivirus is running, the disc light is steady on, but when there’s no program open —but Windows, of course, as you said— the disc light flashes rarely, from time to time, and briefly, but the typical disc sound, I repeat, is permanent.

At least the F2 and F10 keys are operative. I even changed keyboard and in the new one happens the same: F8 doesn’t work. Months ago it worked fine in my regular keyboard connected to same PC.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I already run the SFC /SCANNOW and it found nothing wrong.

There’s something more: the annoying “Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close” message doesn’t show up all the time.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    I suggest reducing or uninstalling all protection softwares first and just using the basic antivirus and windows firewall to troubleshoot the issues you are having. They can later be reinstalled at any rate. You could also run a diagnostic test for your Hard drive to check on the current status. If you want to make sure that unwanted background process are not running on that PC, head to the malware section for the experts used special tools on detecting certain infections.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html Guides
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html Logs and New post

T.C.

Beginner

Quote from: Madgri
      but the typical disc sound, I repeat, is permanent.

What is the typical disc sound, I have 3 hdd's running and can't hear any of them.  Suggest running the disk diagnostic program available from your disk manufacturers site.  See here

MG85

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
        Hi, i would suggest you using chkdsk to try to scan and repair your hard drive.  I had problems like that before and I used to use spyware removals and those sort of things; however, i realized that it was time for me to do a new clean install.  Old Ide and Sata Hard Drives used to last longer than today's hdds.  If your hard drive is making like a clicking noise i would suggest you to get rid of that disc and get a new one.  Just try with chkdsk http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html  if you have any errors please post them here  so we can take a look at them.  check disk is always a good diagnostic for your hdd.   Hope this solve your problem, if not i hope someone else can help you better than me