Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unintentionally unsecured WiFi and now other are using it....please help  (Read 3307 times)

wolfmango

I have a Windows 7 pc with a Netgear wireless router and am definately a beginner so sorry.  When I tried to change the password with some instructions I had, well lets just say it did not work.  Anyway to change the password, secure our wifi without touching the router again?

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Unintentionally unsecured WiFi and now other are using it....please help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »
The push button to reset it should have reset it back to factory defaults of no security and default password. Only way I can see the password not working is either #1 someone who is stealing your internet sees your connection drop and come back on and quickly went in to change the password or #2 your device has been compromized by being Hack Reflashed to have a password other than the default.

If you seriously cant get back into your device to lock people out and the default password is not working, I'd get a new wireless router. If it has been hacked with a Black Flash someone could be using the logger feature to steal info between your home system and wherever you go on the web. Known as a Monkey in the Middle Attack! If your password was left as default they could have remotely flashed it on you from anywhere in the world.

If your device does seem to act as if its been flashed to not have a default password that is oem for that device, I'd seriously junk it, and check your online banking etc once secured under a new device without the default password.

The other issue to mention is that if this is an older device it may have been out there long enough for Black Hats to find a vulnerability with it. Its rare for a networking hardware device to be flawed especially from Netgear, but its not impossible. I had some 6 year old routers that I replaced a short time ago because I found it unusual that they would lock up almost as if a DoS attack and they were Linksys SR41's. Both routers in a matter of days had the same issue of broadband internet down yet the broadband modem was happy and blinking like crazy as if there was traffic, and the devices non responsive to local admin. I find it rather strange that 2 devices of the same make and model also using different power packs kept locking up tight. So I replaced them with newer units with more security features and the problems were gone. The newer routers also support IPv6 in addition to older IPv4 addressing.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:28:11 AM »
Follow the manual of your netgear router OR look online for the PDF manual by your search engine, typing model and brand on how to secure your wireless connection. You could also post the complete router detail for us to search if there is one available.
Some information about wifi security - http://www.pcworld.com/article/130330/how_to_secure_your_wireless_network.html

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 02:54:39 AM »
Can the OP use the router directly on Ehternet?
He needs to tell us the model # of the router.