Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 5.1 sound  (Read 2690 times)

mln4you

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    5.1 sound
    « on: September 09, 2011, 03:49:03 AM »
    i have problem with my 5.1 system they are ok with dvd s and movies and when i set winamp plugin for 5.1 plug ins,but i want to hear them all the time,is there some driver or plug in like i downloaded in winamp that transforms 2 channel to 5.1 all the time even when i press volume slider to hear on all 6 speakers,when i start some game that is made in 2 channel,or youtube i dont hear 5.1,so  anyone know how to meke 5.1 all the time,i have integrated 7.1 hd realtec soundcard on my MSI mainboard,its all connected right cables and software managment,i  using win xp.Tnx

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: 5.1 sound
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:19:04 AM »
    is there some driver or plug in like i downloaded in winamp that transforms 2 channel to 5.1 all the time

Err... if the media file is 2 channel you can't "convert" it to 6 channel...
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

mln4you

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 04:32:49 AM »
       understand,but i thought if winamp or some players can use some plugin,to convert mp3 sound to 5.1,maybe there is something similar,like special sound driver or plug that can be installed in windows ,but it looks like there s no hope  ???

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 04:52:51 AM »
      I'm not sure if it's available on other systems (it probably is but with a different name) but my sound card has Creative X-Fi "CMSS-3D" which can upmix channels to 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound- allegedly.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »
      I'm not sure if it's available on other systems (it probably is but with a different name) but my sound card has Creative X-Fi "CMSS-3D" which can upmix channels to 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound- allegedly.

Actually, the CMSS-3D feature works really well. I run 5.1 speakers on this computer with an X-Fi card. Even worked on my old Creative SB Live 24-bit card (came with the same software the new cards do). There are two modes with it, Stereo Surround which just plays the same left and right channels on the rear speakers (my preference) and Stereo Xpand which is a simulated "3D" mode, but I think it distorts and ruins the sound of a lot of music.

The Realtek software interface is usually pretty simple. I'm looking at the one on my wife's computer (Asus P5K SE with Realtek ALC 883 8 -Channel High Definition Audio) and I don't see any option for this. My laptop also has "surround sound" with an integrated Realtek chipset, but I've never been able to get it to play music surround, only files and DVDs that are already surround sound. While the Creative cards can do this, I don't think it's something Realtek ones can do.

mln4you

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 06:42:33 AM »
        ok tnx.so the solution is to buy some other sound card ,but not realtek.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »
        If you want some suggestions on an affordable card that'll do what you need:

What's the model of your MSI motherboard?
        What is your price range?

mln4you

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
          My motherboard is MSI MS-7529 ,and the price price range should be around 20 euros not more

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 08:20:05 PM »
          Ok, from what I can tell that board only has 1 PCI Express x16 slot and 2 normal PCI slots. I'm going to suggest a PCI card instead of PCI Express just in case you want to pop a video card in there later (if you don't have one already).

Ok, first and cheapest (at $25) is the Creative Audigy SE:
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102012

Second, if you want to spend a bit more, at $40 is the Creative X-Fi Xtreme: (this is the card I have in its PCI Express version, very nice)
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102012

Both of these should include (or you can download from Creative.com) the Creative audio panel which will include the CMSS-3D function, as well as a number of other things. I really think you'll notice a difference in quality of sound as well as features with either of these cards over the Realtek chipsets. Also, both of these cards support up to 7.1 surround, in case you decide to upgrade you speaker system later.