Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: graphics card not outputting to monitors  (Read 3584 times)

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

graphics card not outputting to monitors
    « on: September 19, 2011, 08:59:51 PM »
    so i just bought a new graphics card, the GeForce 8400 GS. The goal was to run 2 monitors on it, and that worked fine.
    I then installed a program called actual multiple monitors to extend the taskbar to both monitors, which also worked fine.
    However when i turned my computer off last night, i was not able to get a signal from either of the monitors. If i hook one monitor into the standard motherboard slot, it will function (albeit with weird settings; my taskbar is vertically aligned on the left).
    I do not think its an issue with the power supply, as my computer isnt THAT old (~2008), and this graphics card isnt high end at all; as well it didnt come with/wasnt supposed to require a power supply, its only 300 watts.
    I also believe i have all the correct drivers installed, as i put them on straight from the disk, and seeing as AMM was functioning correctly at one point, im not really sure what could be causing it.
    Input much appreciated!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: graphics card not outputting to monitors
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »
    I would try removing all power to the PC and remove and re-seat the vid card...
    These were the factory drivers that shipped with the card...correct ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »
      ok ill give that a try. yup they are factory + their own update (the installation disc prompted for it)

EDIT: that did it i guess. i vacuumed out the whole tower to be safe. It appears to be working now.. ill post up again if i get the same issue when i shut down tonight. thanks
      « Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:10:53 PM by kamikaze33 »

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:35:54 AM »
      For future reference i wouldn't use a vacuum inside a PC case...
      They generate huge amounts of static electricity...enough to take out pricey components in the process.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:29:46 PM »
      Glad you got it fixed.

As Patio said, don't use a vacuum as they do generate a lot of static. Instead, get a can of compressed air and blow it out. You can find cans of it most places that have a good selection of computer accessories or order it online. It's relatively cheap and much safer than using a vacuum.