Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will wireless connect v. wired bottleneck dedicated rackmount server  (Read 3163 times)

itsallaboutthecomputers

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hello, I am planning to setup a rackmounted server using old parts that I will soon have due to upgrading my current desktop. Old parts: AMD 9500 Phenom, 3GB DDR2 800Mhz, 8500GT GPU, 450watt PSU. I live with my parents and I already know without asking that I won't be able to run ethernet either through the walls or on the floor or ceiling.  I plan to use the server to host an L4D2 server, my internet is 10 megabits down and .93-1.00 megabits up connection, even with wireless G connected on my desktop I get maximum speeds 99% of the time. So, will having the server connected using wifi bottleneck it's performance? I'm going to be using a CCI EZFOLD wall mounted server rack, and a 4U server chassis to fit everything inside.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Will wireless connect v. wired bottleneck dedicated rackmount server
    « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:48:57 AM »
    Have Fun!  ;D
    Your ISP limit you to 10 M bps download, Right?

If you Wireless is running at near 54 M  bps, the  connection to the Internet would not be much faster if  you had a direct Ethernet  cable.
    As you said, maximum speeds 99% of the time. That is as good as it gets.

For a server, you would like to have the 'uplink' speed to be better. But the ISP has an asymmetrical bandwidth for technical reasons.

Are you going to put up a web site?

itsallaboutthecomputers

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 10:14:46 PM »
      Have Fun!  ;D
      Your ISP limit you to 10 M bps download, Right?

Yes:
      my internet is 10 megabits down and .93-1.00 megabits up connection

Are you going to put up a web site?

No I said:
      I plan to use the server to host an L4D2 server

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog

itsallaboutthecomputers

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
        Got it! This this one?
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5ptj9F5v2A

Yes that's the game, but the software is SRCDS (Source Dedicated Server) all I have to do is install everything via usb to the server and set it up to run correctly, then I am getting a monitor and keyboard of course to manually monitor/configure the server when needed.

So far I have decided to go with:

1.) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138294

2.) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219026

3.) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104077

itsallaboutthecomputers

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 07:20:11 AM »
          I have changed my mind, I will be attempting to co-locate these parts to a local data center for $99.99 a month. It seems the only way to get a fast enough internet connection would be to go the ISP Business route, but I don't run a business and their speeds are negligible at best, at this price it's a steal, and I get Tier 1 data speeds. Let me know what you all think about co-locating a game server.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 11:35:25 AM »
          Yeah. That is how the IT world is going.
          In the early days of the Internet you had to get your own server. v Now big companies own racks and racks of serves with redundant equipment and software.  So they rent out extra capacity using what they call a 'virtual server'.  When the traffic gets heavy, the bring on-line more equipment that was idle and with clever software your stuff is non another server. The performance, overall, goes beyond a dedicated server in some cases.
          You can Google
          Virtual Gaming Server
          And net hundreds, if not thousands of companies that want yhour business. They often promise 1 TB of bandwidth.  I can not even begin to understand what that could mean.
          At one time I had the 1&1 service, but I can not afford it on my budget. I never could find a way to make money consistently.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
            • Me
          « Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 05:53:58 AM »
          The one thing the above points overlook: internet speed may not be throttled by using wifi, but LAN speed will.  And in the circumstances above, a couple of Homeplug AV adapters would provide circa 200Mbps bandwidth between server and switch (assuming the switch and server were both 1Gbps-capable).
          Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos