Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cant print after installing parrallel printer adapter  (Read 3696 times)

punk_sot

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    cant print after installing parrallel printer adapter
    « on: September 30, 2011, 03:59:28 AM »
    can you explained y i cant print after installing parrallel printer adapter?first i install the hardware then it is detected i install the driver. it was installed but i cant print..the printer is good..i try the original ltp port on board and it printed..(i just install parallel printer adapter to pci to check if its good ..)hardware was detected and properly insatlled but it cant print if i transfer it to parallel printer adapter...is it the parallel printer port adapter gone bad? y it was detected?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: cant print after installing parrallel printer adapter
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 06:59:56 AM »
    Even faulty hardware can still be detected. Not saying the thing you have is faulty though.

Need more info, like specs on the system itself, make/model of card you've put in, etc.

punk_sot

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 06:25:50 PM »
      thnx for your comment dude..i have ASUS P7H55 mobo and MOSCHIP MCS9865 1-Port Parallel PCI is it compatible?

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 08:21:56 PM »
      Unlike USB, you can't just plug a LPT printer in to any port and expect it to work. So let's look into that first.

Each LPT in the computer has a number, first you need to check that the computer knows that the printer is on LPT2 (the card) and not LPT1 (the on-board port). Even if you've added the printer and it works fine on LPT1, you may need to add another instance of it on LPT2.

Here are Microsoft's instructions for installing an LPT printer:
      1. Connect the printer to the appropriate port on your computer according to the printer manufacturer's documentation, and verify that it is ready to print.

2. Although Windows automatically detects and installs most printers, you might need to provide additional information to complete the installation. Choose from the following, depending on the type of printer you have.

Install a parallel port (LPT) attached printer

If your printer attaches to your computer with a parallel port (LPT port), connect the printer to your computer, and then open Printers and Faxes Double-click Add Printer to start the Add Printer Wizard, and then click Next. Click Local Printer, make sure the Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer check box is selected, and then click Next. Depending on the printer you are installing, a Found New Hardware message or the Found New Hardware Wizard appears to notify you that the printer has been detected and that installation has begun. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the printer installation. (You do not need to continue with the following instructions.)

Alternatively, after connecting your printer, you can start or restart your computer to allow to automatically detect and start the Found New Hardware Wizard.

The printer icon will be added to your Printers and Faxes folder.

3. If you could not install your printer using Plug and Play, or if the printer is attached to your computer with a serial (COM) port, then open Printers and Faxes

4. Double-click Add Printer to start the Add Printer Wizard, and then click Next.

5. Click Local printer, and then click Next.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish setting up the printer by selecting a printer port, selecting the manufacturer and model of your printer, and typing a name for your printer.

Try adding the printer again as per those instructions and see if you can print to it then. Also make sure you change the printer you're printing to in the print dialog box. It's been a while since I've seen a LPT printer, but if I remember right, the name of the printer will include the port it's on, like "Epson FX-890 on LPT1". I could be mistaken though, it's been a long time and I don't have an LPT printer handy to verify this with.