Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Ports  (Read 2670 times)

shimal

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    USB Ports
    « on: December 24, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »
    Hello Hello

A few months ago I experimented a little with those little "engines" in little fans/shavers, i broke them and took out the ... "engines". I decided to make it spin faster with a load of batteries but i didn't have that many batteries. What I had was my phone USB connector, Sonny Ericsson. I cut my headphone wires, connected one end to the "engine" and the other end to the phone USB cabble and then I connected the USB connector to the computer and voila, a fast spinning engine. Anyway, the USB ports gave up on me and now I have learned my lesson, don't play with fire/electricity and I want to get the USB ports to work again.

My current computer suc*s so I decided to see if the ports were burned or not and I thought if I repeat the process then maybe it would undo the curse so I did my lil stupid experiment again and the 2 front USB ports are burned(no electricity) but the 4 on the back work. Also I connected my phone to it and even that worked so I don't understand the problem.

The computer requires me to restore my system or press a key everytime I turn it on but since I can't use my mouse or keyboard I don't even get to see the windows logo.

Please help me :D

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: USB Ports
    « Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 04:33:05 AM »
    Okay... Wow... You should at least checked how much power those little motors draw before hooking them directly up to your computer... USB only provides 5 volts.
    Hello Hello
    voila, a fast spinning engine. Anyway, the USB ports gave up on me and now I have learned my lesson, don't play with fire/electricity and I want to get the USB ports to work again.
    I thought if I repeat the process then maybe it would undo the curse so I did my lil stupid experiment again and the 2 front USB ports are burned(no electricity) but the 4 on the back work. Also I connected my phone to it and even that worked so I don't understand the problem.
    If you connected your phone to it and it worked that probably means only Pin 1 on the USB connector is trashed from whatever you did with the motor. The data pins still transfer data when you connect your phone, which relies on its own battery as power. That's good.

The damage has already been done to the USB ports, which are connected to the Southbridge, which handles all the computer's I/O functions. I hope there is no other damage. I guess the first step would be to... get a front panel with a few USB ports and install it into a empty 3.5'' drive bay:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817801001
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 11:13:39 AM »
    In the future, you could probably get a away with using a cheap powered USB hub for such experiments. buying a new USB hub is a lot cheaper than buying a new motherboard.

since I can't use my mouse or keyboard
    Why not?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

shimal

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 02:44:19 PM »

Why not?

As Transfusion explained it must be something with the I/O functions. When I plug my USB flash drive in the back panel USB ports the USB flash drives light turns on for an instant so yeah, must be something with I/O.

The damage has already been done to the USB ports, which are connected to the Southbridge, which handles all the computer's I/O functions. I hope there is no other damage. I guess the first step would be to... get a front panel with a few USB ports and install it into a empty 3.5'' drive bay:
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817801001

Ill do that, but you said install. Does that mean I'll need to install it before it works?
      Cuz I can't use any USB ports and therefore my mouse and keyboards aren't working so that would prevent me from installing anything.
      Just checked and there is a Keyboard and Mouse port(old circle ports) ill try get my hands on some old timer keyboard or mouse and try my luck with that as well :D

Thanks for the assist u2

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
      Ahh, so the answer to my question was that you were using a USB keyboard/mouse.

PS/2 is better for keyboards and mice anyway, if you ask me.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

shimal

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 03:31:26 PM »
        Ahh, so the answer to my question was that you were using a USB keyboard/mouse.

PS/2 is better for keyboards and mice anyway, if you ask me.

I thought everybody did :P
        Due to lack of PS/2 on some computers made me think badly of them so I used USB Keyboards and mice instead.
        But if the I/O of USB and PS/2 is different then this problem is fixed.

Thanks

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »
        Ill do that, but you said install. Does that mean I'll need to install it before it works?
        No I mean physically install as in plug into your motherboard.
        In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
        Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none