Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blank Screen, unusual  (Read 6368 times)

Raptor

Re: Blank Screen, unusual
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 06:32:25 PM »
I could have sworn that i had to update bios once, but I might be thinking of a completely different computer.  I just checked myself, pretend like I said nothing.  working on resetting it.

Don't flash the BIOS, it is not necessary. It will not downgrade if you reset.

Redsennacy2189

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »
    ah, it was this computer.  In the manual, C1E is a default setting, and it is enabled anyway.  Asus has a BIOS update they recommend from their website. 

should i load defaults, or hard reset via battery or jumper?

^^ scratch all that. just read your post.  it won't go back to true default since i upgraded?

Raptor

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 06:43:31 PM »
    ah, it was this computer.  In the manual, C1E is a default setting, and it is enabled anyway.  Asus has a BIOS update they recommend from their website. 

should i load defaults, or hard reset via battery or jumper?

^^ scratch all that. just read your post.  it won't go back to true default since i upgraded?

I'd go for the jumper. Peeling out the battery is rather tedious.

Oh, I failed to answer your question: I am not sure what you mean with "true default" but it'll load the factory values regardless of which version of the BIOS you currently have. It won't roll back to an earlier version. Once you flash a BIOS, it's on the chip and it's going to be there until you flash it again.

That's why you shouldn't flash casually because if you write the wrong BIOS to a chip, you end up breaking the mainboard.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:58:25 PM by Raptor »

Redsennacy2189

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 07:02:59 PM »
      Hm.  well then, I flashed both computers.  Asus recommends it in the manual, so that's what I followed.  Didn't save the default BIOS though.  Bad me. 

Should I still try to reset it?  I'm not sure what else I can do.  If it keeps blue screening, I might just have to find a new mobo since my gut tells me that's the problem.

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 07:07:32 PM »
      Hm.  well then, I flashed both computers.  Asus recommends it in the manual, so that's what I followed.  Didn't save the default BIOS though.  Bad me. 

Should I still try to reset it?  I'm not sure what else I can do.  If it keeps blue screening, I might just have to find a new mobo since my gut tells me that's the problem.

Yes, resetting your BIOS to default values is not a problem. It is a very common trouble-shooting procedure. If you do not want to open your case, you can also just load the default values through the BIOS itself. However, the jumper or battery method makes absolutely sure that it is reset.

It is no problem to flash the BIOS but you should only do it if you think the new BIOS fixes a problem or adds a feature that you need.
      If at any point you need any BIOS version they are available from the Asus website. Just don't start downgrading unless your problems are directly and without a doubt related to the new BIOS

I have to go now but here's a few more suggestions if you still have problems:

• Clean connectors with alcohol
      • Diagnose your RAM (http://www.memtest.org/)
      • Boot with only the bare essentials (PSU/RAM/CPU)
      • Try another videocard
      • Make certain the mainboard isn't short-circuiting anywhere (loose screws, bent metal strips)

Redsennacy2189

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 07:18:31 PM »
        Thank you for your help, and I've already done 1-3, 5 :D  I have memtest on a disc from when i found out my other RAM wasn't compatible.

I have been looking for a new video card to replace my other old one, and I hope that works, but I'm not going to pump money into that until I know I'm not going to be buying a new mobo. 

I'll reset BIOS and report back here if I still blue screen.

thanks!

Redsennacy2189

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 08:57:41 PM »
          I am still getting blue screen messages with invalid_kernel_error and system_Service_exception.

I'm starting to think this is drivers. I tried windows verifier and I got the invalid_kernel message.

What else can I do to check my drivers? At this rate, I'm afraid that I'm going to seriously damage my hdd.

This happened twice when I had League of Legends opened and no other program.  I did see that it didn't like the drivers I had for my USB webcam, which I unplugged.  LoL is up to date, as is windows update and as *far* as I can tell, the other drivers are as well. 

I have no clue what to do!  I can't tell what's wrong with this computer, if it was hardware, or something with software all along

Redsennacy2189

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »
            just happened again, League of Legends open. 

Bad_pool_header.

Problem signature:
              Problem Event Name:   BlueScreen
              OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
              Locale ID:   1033

Additional information about the problem:
              BCCode:   19
              BCP1:   0000000000000022
              BCP2:   2500000000000000
              BCP3:   0000000000000000
              BCP4:   0000000000000000
              OS Version:   6_1_7601
              Service Pack:   1_0
              Product:   256_1

I was told to NOT start a new thread with this one still open, so help please!

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 05:06:35 AM »
            Yes, that was rather naughty.  :P

You never told me if you reset the BIOS?

Redsennacy2189

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
              Being naughty is not promoted on computer help sites  :-[

I did reset via jumper. It seemed like it was working well up until these new blue screens started. I'm trying to find the culprit, but at least my comp is starting up without issues. I tried using driver verifier on non Microsoft based programs, found the USB camera problem. I have it unplugged right now, but my comp crashes any time I play League.  Uninstalled it and am reinstalling today. There were a few windows definition updates I didn't have installed, downloaded them too.

Any idea what those BSOD codes could mean? Should I post mini dump files? I've looked up each case to see if there's a trend, and it's always the same thing. Drivers, bad software, bad hardware. This infuriates me since that's obvious that something is wrong

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 09:16:40 AM »
              Your better off posting the BSOD error messages...including the gibberish...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 10:16:50 AM »
              How is your computer set for cooling? Are all the fans working? All the heatsinks dust-free? And are they firmly seated?
              Do the BSOD come when your computer is taxed? Did you try stress test software?

You already described some BSOD error messages but they seem too numerous to be able to help us find the fault.

Redsennacy2189

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »
                Computer idles at 30 Degees, and under stress can get up to 50-60 depending on if I'm playing wow vs skyrim.
                Fans all work, psu works, I cleaned out all dust about a week ago (a task I enjoy and do regularly) everything is firmly seated, no gpu to worry about... Albeit I just ordered one.

I can't see league of legends being a very taxing game, since my computer, after a while, MAY hit 40.  I would like to run stress test software. Mem test was already cleared for all RAM and all slots. Ran 7 passes 10 times.

Any suggestions for stress test software? And I know the blue screen messages don't help, but I get a different error every time. I'm in the middle of moving, so I'll try and look up software tonight once I get my comp set up

Raptor

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 04:40:41 PM »
                50-60 depending on if I'm playing wow vs skyrim.

That's rather steap, a 30 degrees increase in temperature. What kind of cooling do you have installed?

Prime95 and Winstress are the only programs I know of.