Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help desk programs?  (Read 2874 times)

rootkit

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Help desk programs?
    « on: September 13, 2012, 08:23:11 AM »
    Hey  :D

Does anybody have any ideas for a help desk ticketing program that is either free or comes with a trial period? Another place has suggested help desk software from IssueCentre and another thought Kayako's would be best. Would any others suit my needs?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help desk programs?
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
    Only one I am familiar with is Intuit's Track-IT. I used this at my last job to manage our IT departments management of about 30 servers and 300 workstations at 6 sites and IT employees assigned to work orders etc. Track-IT has a neat tool that allows for you to run a hardware audit on hardware and keep a profile so that you can quickly locate which systems are at the end of their life cycle or could be an issue with roll out of a software package such as in our accounting department that required 1GB Ram minimum and we had Pentium 4 ( 1.5Ghz to 3.0Ghz )workstations running XP Pro SP2 at the time on 256 and 512MB Ram. So I had to perform a Ram upgrade on about half the systems by pairing up 2 x 512MB sticks from 2 systems to 1 system and then upgrade the other system with 1 x 1GB Ram stick to save money vs buying like 8 x 512MB sticks to upgrade 8 systems at 512MB to 1GB.

Track-IT use to have a 30 day trial period, but it comes at a cost to keep it. We had Enterprise Edition which I think was $3500, they have cheaper less featured/licensed editions that are cheaper, but I think the cheapest version is like $500.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help desk programs?
    « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »
    OTRS is the one to go for: http://www.otrs.com/en/
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos