Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ComputerHope Chat sucks, I think I will just leave this site.  (Read 5521 times)

HelpDude88

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Expert
    You know its bad when you are banned for no reason. Someone came onto the chat and asked how they could play a movie thats a rar file. Me knowing that the movie could still be legal, maybe a how-to movie that someone made and uploaded to a website in a rar. I told the person to use a program like WinRar to extract the file. Thats all I told the person. I was then kicked. I thought to my self "it wasnt like I was trying to help him with a torrent, just a rar file!". So I went back into the chat and told them my "Not everything is illegal" story/what ever you want to call it. I was then treated wrongly by "lostcoast" saying "I dont want to hear your crap", then telling me "Meet HD8" and I got kicked again. This time I thought "Ok I will go in this time and be calm about everything". So I did just that. I asked a simple question of "When you say !rules, is that all of the rules for the chat or is there more? i want to see them". Just for saying that, I was banned. I would also like to point out that lostcoast kept saying "Strike 1", then 2. Whats it to him of how many chances I have? Am I complaining? Maybe a little, but i'm just saying the truth. I could also point out a few things in the rules that don't make since. Like the fact it says "English only" and then it says "No discrimination"... Them saying English only is discrimination. I'm just pointing that out. I think I will just be leaving this site, maybe telling a few never to come here. It just sad of what you have to deal with in the world... I cant wait to hear some of the replies I get to this thread.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner

HelpDude88

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: ComputerHope Chat sucks, I think I will just leave this site.
      « Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:03:44 PM »
      I didnt break any rule then. I was not helping the person download anything illegal. I was helping extract a rar. The content inside could have been legal. I didn't ask if it was legal or not. Thats not my job.

jebug29

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:20:34 PM »
        I agree with Helpdude88. It wasn't said that anything was illegal. All he was doing was helping to tell someone how to open a RAR file, not download or use illegally downloaded content. Isn't it our job as geeks to help users who need it?

HelpDude88

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 11:25:29 PM »
          ^ Yes it is our job to help people, but if that person was to come out and say that it was a torrent or it was illegal.. I wouldn't have helped him. He didn't say where he got it from, but you can't just not help them cause you (THINK) its illegal.

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
          It comes down to plausible deniability. If we don't know what it is or where it came from, who can say their file violate copyright? Unless this person came out and said "I downloaded the latest Transformers movie and I don't know how to open the RAR file it's in", then that's clearly a violation. If they say "I downloaded a movie and I... blah blah RAR file", that's different. Unless there's an indicator that the file they've download is an illegal, pirated copy, then there's no reason we shouldn't help.

I download many independent movies that are free to download and some are even packed in zip and rar files, so it's entirely possible that this person was talking about a legitimate download. I don't know what exactly was said, but I believe there are complete logs of what goes on in chat. If what you say is true, I believe LostCoast overreacted. Best thing to do, take it up with a moderator.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:10:15 AM »
          For the record I've always felt that, if nothing else, the forum and the chat are two completely different environments. Most of  the regulars in the chat never, or hardly ever post on the forum, and vice versa. If it makes you feel better, they wouldn't be able to ban you from the forum in the same way. I think extending actions taken by people in chat to the forum - or members of the forum to chat- is a bit unfair, if nothing else.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

derfuhrer

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »
          i had been given the same treatment when a jerk named patio provoked me

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »
          i had been given the same treatment when a jerk named patio provoked me
          And now you've hit the daily double. If your username wasn't enough for me to disable your account, your rudeness to our staff is. Thanks for stopping by.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »
          Pearls of wisdom from the above:

derfuhrer   ?
          14:28   derfuhrer   ok
          14:28   derfuhrer   guitar_man: ok
          14:28      *** guest_65 joined #computerhope
          14:29   patio   derfuhrer: You not only have a disturbing User name...but an attitude to go with it...
          14:29   derfuhrer   i am the fuhrer are you a rat jew patio??
          14:29   patio   move along...
          14:29   derfuhrer   i am an aryan from india
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »
          Yeah, well - now he's an aryan who can go spew his crap somewhere else.

GlitchPC

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 02:14:40 AM »
          Not sure if I should say anything but, I will.

I agree with BC_Programmer's reply...to a point...

For the record I've always felt that, if nothing else, the forum and the chat are two completely different environments. Most of  the regulars in the chat never, or hardly ever post on the forum, and vice versa. If it makes you feel better, they wouldn't be able to ban you from the forum in the same way. I think extending actions taken by people in chat to the forum - or members of the forum to chat- is a bit unfair, if nothing else.

Though the chat and the forum may be two different environments, the fact is they are both representative of this site.  We all have our days and nobody's perfect.  We can be rude on some days...and pleasant on others.  We're human beings and it's the nature of the beast.

The fact of the matter is...if a rule was broken...a person must suffer the consequences.  However, before any action is taken...it should be discussed further within the proper medium until it has been resolved...unless it needs an immediate resolution.  That's why there are Chat OPs and Moderators.

As far as legal/illegal software/downloads go...how can you really tell?  You can't.  It's just as easy for someone to say, "Yes, it's legal"...as opposed to, "No, it's not".

The problem is...there's one no matter where you go...if not, they come looking for you.  These individuals thrive on feeding the beast...and should be dealt with, accordingly.

In a perfect world...we'd all like to be treated with respect and kindness...unless we thrive on just being obnoxious and rude.  Myself...I try to treat those the way I'd like to be treated...with kindness and respect.  However, like I said...nobody's perfect...and I've been guilty of being rude and obnoxious, as well.

Certain people will "push your button"...and you'll just have to ask yourself, "Should I feed the fire...or dowse the flames?"