Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win Vista won't install...  (Read 4822 times)

Nightguy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Win Vista won't install...
    « on: March 11, 2012, 01:59:07 PM »
    Here is an interesting one. Windows Vista will not install because it says I need a driver for my hard drive O.o
    Ok, Windows already has HDD drivers so this shouldn't be happening. I ended up finding some information which tells me I am needing an update to my Storage Controller (Silicon Image SiI 3132 SATALink Controller). Then I go to their site and find a list of updates but there are so many it is impossible to tell which is the right one.
    And even if I did find the correct update there is no way to install it in a Windows environment because, well, there is no O/S because it won't install!!!
    Frustrating, huh?

The motherboard is an ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe. The HDD is a 500GB Maxtor. The Windows to be installed is Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

If anyone knows how to rid me of this problem I would really appreciate it :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Win Vista won't install...
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »
    Not too hard. You do have another PC. Do you have another HDD? Maybe an old PATA? Install Windows temporarily on the old PATA drive. Then check out the details of the motherboard and the drive  using additional tools you get elsewhere.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
    You're trying to upgrade to Vista? Why on earth would you do that?

Anyhow, are you trying to do so by booting from the disc or within Windows?

Nightguy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »
      Sage: I have my own PC which I used to get the information I need about the mobo. I do believe I have all the info I need about it. I did find an upgrade for the controller as well as an upgrade for the ASUS mobo BIOS. Ok, now I still have the problem of applying those upgrades because they need to be installed in a Windows environment and that is something I cannot do since Windows will not install on the HDD I want to use or any HDD I have tried...all 6 of them. I thought of using another computer to install Windows and then throw that HDD in the guy's computer but then I would need an identical mobo or Windows would get confused and refuse to boot anyway.

Raptor: The guy who I am doing this for had his HDD fail and he has his original Vista O/S disk, that's why I am trying to install Vista. He will not pay to get Win 7 :/   I am trying to install it from that Vista disk.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
      You can install Vista by booting from the disc.

If Vista can not detect your SATA hard drive, you need the SATA driver for the chipset and it can usually be obtained from the mainboard manufacturer's webpage. It usually mentions that it is meant to be used on a floppy disk.

Why aren't you doing it this way?

konair666

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 01:15:58 AM »
        ya i would go to win 7 your cpu will run faster lol vista is a memory hog

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 04:50:25 AM »

ya i would go to win 7 your cpu will run faster lol vista is a memory hog

Does not help the OP and is also not true. Feel free to ignore this....
        11 cheers for binary !

konair666

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 08:05:21 AM »
          you cant say vista is not a memory hog. its a well known fact it is it might not be best to go woth 7 depending on the age of the cpu but it is better to go with xp or 7 i have not seen 1 computer that is better off with vista on it then anything else. to say that would be wrong

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 08:10:24 AM »
          Back to the issue...
          To get Vista to recognise the HDD properly do the following:
          Boot to the Vista CD...
          Very early on in Setup a bottom screen prompt shows saying "Press F6 to install additional drivers"...do so.
          Then put your MBoard Driver CD in and hit continue...Setup will auto install it and continue to run Setup...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 08:15:53 AM »
          you cant say vista is not a memory hog. its a well known fact it is it might not be best to go woth 7 depending on the age of the cpu but it is better to go with xp or 7 i have not seen 1 computer that is better off with vista on it then anything else. to say that would be wrong
          You are absolutely wrong. However, you've stated your opinion. Now please let's just leave it at that. Further discussions regarding your opinion of Vista will not help anything in this thread. Thank you.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 08:36:30 AM »
          And will be removed...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "