Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Modem won't hang up!!  (Read 2643 times)

Jason E. Jones

Modem won't hang up!!
« on: September 21, 2005, 11:07:02 AM »
I am working on a Compaq Presario 7598 with a Agere Win Modem (aftermarket).  The modem will dial out just fine but will not hang up when finished leaving the line open.  I am running windows 98.  I have already performed a format and reinstalled the drivers.  I have also changed the port settings to there lowest levels.  Somebody HELP!!!  This has me so frustrated!!! >:(

Raptor

Re: Modem won't hang up!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 11:13:26 AM »
Shut it down manually, then.

JJONES78

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 11:15:35 AM »
The only way I can get it to hang up is to unplug the phone line and plug it back in.

JJONES78

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 12:18:34 PM »
I am Jason E. Jones by the way.  The person who started this post.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 01:15:17 PM »
When you connect to the Internet using a Dial-up modem, an icon will appear in the system bar.

Right click on this icon and click on Disconnect.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 04:06:54 PM »
What ISP are you using? Do you see the icon in the lower right corner when connected? Did you test it in Windows control panel?

If you have hyperterminal installed in Windows we can try a few commands there.

If you unplug the line from the modem and turn OFF the computer for 5 minutes, it should do a hard reset in the meantime, until we get this figured out.

Keep in mind that this is a "WinModem" not a nice and real hardware modem, so that at the very worst $10 will solve the problem.

JJONES78

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 10:58:19 PM »
I have already tried to do a disconnet manually though the icon in the system tray---still the same thing.  I have tried both Juno and Att net with the same results.  I tested  the modem in the control panel...the computer and modem are communicating fine.  If you could help me in hyperterminal that would be great.  I am thinking about installing a old modem laying around just to see if the same problem exists with it.

Thanks ahead of time
Jason

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 04:28:33 AM »
Start up HyperTerminal

Type in AT (press enter)

Type in ATO (press enter)

Type in ATH  (press enter)

What came up on the screen?

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 03:11:51 PM »
scan system for the trojan dialer.........and any other bugs.........