Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Netbook CPU - 60C at Full load for 15 min?  (Read 9556 times)

ryanpianesi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Netbook CPU - 60C at Full load for 15 min?
    « Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »
    Thank you Commando. So, Is my computer operating at a typical temperature? and at what temp should I begin to worry? If the temp is too high, i can send it back as it is under warranty..

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »
    Back to the originkal post.
    The OP said that it was a stress test. Why? Is he a stress tester or a computer user. This is not archaism. The Intel design is to provide a reliable CPU that will meet the needs of the average user.

If he is an average user, why does he nun a stress test for 15 min. ?  Should every user do that with ever new computer/automobile/television or any other consumer device? Is the unit to be deployed in military service?

From the original post I never saw anything that indicated that he would only do this briefly.  Running at 100% for 15 mini. is really outside the design parameters of almost any consumer electronic device. Except microwave ovens. And maybe a Jacuzzi. 

If the objective is to damage the unit, he could place it inside an over set to about 30 C and leave it for 10 min running 100%  and see if it is still running. That is not a good idea. But it will not damage the unit. It may shut down, but no damage.

That is a n answer the should meet the OP requirements.  Intel says that the thing can run at 100 C, but never suggests you do that. It does say you should expect 50 C for average use.

It is in the Intel documents.

ryanpianesi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »
      GEEK - NO ONE IS SPEAKING TO YOU. I'm asking others. Bye.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 01:09:09 AM »
      Is my computer operating at a  typical temperature?
      While I cannot speak from experience on that, personally I find that, under normal circumstances, you should only investigate your CPU temperature when you already have problems such as instability. All modern processors have thermal protection circuitry that prevents them from operating at temperatures that would damage it at it's standard operating settings (voltage and clock speed), so it is unlikely that you will be able to use a system and have it "take damage" from operating hotter than normal.

and at what temp should I begin to worry?
      For me, when I get or build a new system, I'll usually make a mental note of what the "standard" temperatures seem to be for the various components. This gives me something to compare against.

In your case, the 60 degrees is in fact under load, and is well within the specifications for the processor. My suggestion would be to use the laptop normally, and get a idea of it's normal operating temperature. If it get's excessively close to the thermal limits- which I believe others have cited as 70 degrees or 80 degrees- you could consider returning it under warranty.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 02:28:03 AM »
      Salmon -- So is it running above the temp that it should be?? I'm a little worried. Geek-9pm, Change your experience to a beginner.

I have told you THREE TIMES that everything is OK. But Geek-9PM keeps butting in. This is unfortunate and maybe should be noted by others. Geek-9PM often cannot read (or understand) properly. This does not stop him spouting stuff in threads on Computerhope.

Modern CPUs have speed/voltage switching to match electrical power (Watts) used to workload.  A microprocessor is not a mechanical device like a motor. It is not dangerous to run it at full design power for extended periods as long as you take the heat away. What you must not do is exceed the maximum allowed junction temperature (Tj max). For your CPU that is 100 degrees Celsius. That is when the CPU is running at TDP or Thermal Design Power. Also shown in the data sheet is the maximum expected temperature, 50 C during "Paverage" conditions. Your idle temperature reading (47 C) and maximum workload reading (60 C) during a 15 minute stress test show that EVERYTHING IS FINE.

100 C is the maximum allowed operating temperature. Note the word "allowed". It is the top limit. If the idle temp goes much over 55-60 and the full load temp started to reach 80 or 90, I would be investigating stuff like: is it operating under hot conditions, is it being run on a carpet or quilt, are there blocked air inlets/outlet grilles, heatsink vanes clogged with dust & fluff, heatsink loose on CPU, fan slow or stopped, etc.