Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it possible to upgrade my Asus A72F laptop's graphics?  (Read 4720 times)

iwolf93

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Is it possible to upgrade my Asus A72F laptop's graphics?
    « on: April 25, 2012, 08:02:37 PM »
    Hello,

Is it possible to upgrade my Asus A72F laptop's graphics?  ???

I would like to improve my laptop's game performance mostly for Combat Arms and Steam games.

I also would like to raise my Windows Experience rating to at least 4.9 if possible.

Thank you very much for the help.  :)

Speccy report: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/q0QVWsyrewKipFlNzwHsQHx

More details about my computer 

Component Details Subscore Base score
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz 6.7 3.4
      Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 5.9
    Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics 3.4
    Gaming graphics 1696 MB Total available graphics memory 4.9
    Primary hard disk 219GB Free (279GB Total) 5.6
    Windows 7 Home Premium

System   
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 
      Model K72F
      Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
      System type 64-bit operating system
      Number of processor cores 2

Storage   
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 279 GB
      Disk partition (C:) 219 GB Free (279 GB Total)

Graphics   

Display adapter type Intel(R) HD Graphics
      Total available graphics memory 1696 MB
            Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
            Dedicated system memory 0 MB
            Shared system memory 1632 MB
      Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.2622
      Primary monitor resolution 1600x900
      DirectX version DirectX 10

Network   

Network Adapter Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
      Network Adapter Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)

Notes   

The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.
      Caution: Based on the results of the WinSAT Disk assessment, your system drive may have slower response times under some workloads. Performance results will depend on the specific applications used and the amount of memory available. If your experience is satisfactory, no action is needed.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Is it possible to upgrade my Asus A72F laptop's graphics?
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »
    I helped a user on ComputerHope chat who was in the same predicament as you. Good news, with some tinkering it surely will be possible. (read: l33t gh3tt0 H4X0R way)
    You can upgrade graphics in laptops that have MXM slots, most commonly found in higher end laptops starting from the GeForce GTX 260M/Mobility Radeon HD 6770M.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_PCI_Express_Module

Your Intel GMA HD graphics is integrated into the Northbridge of your computer and you don't have an MXM slot. No dice going this method.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/418851-diy-egpu-experiences.html
    Devising an external graphics solution with an expresscard/mPCIe to standard desktop PCIe convertor. That means most any desktop graphics card will work.
    However, it will be really clunky-your laptop doesn't have an expresscard slot and no additional mPCIe slots, that means we'll have to swap out the WiFi card.
    You'll need one of these:

That is a PowerColor HD 4670, in case you are curious. Works fine off an 80W laptop charger (the card requires its own power supply, for cards that require a 6 pin PCIe 75W connector you'll need a standard ATX power supply to drive them)
    Build a stand for your laptop that elevates it off the ground and you're set. The above link I posted has a few methods that enable you to channel the graphics card output back to your laptop LCD display.
    Downside is obviously portability.
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:58:25 PM by Transfusion »
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none