Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Norton Ghost  (Read 7992 times)

merlin_2

Re: Norton Ghost
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 05:51:03 PM »
jumper switch on drives........load the image on the slave drive......drag it......and ghost image is not that much good unless its on the original system?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 05:53:24 PM by merlin_2 »

Crafty

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 05:55:07 PM »
Sorry when i say i want to copy the image over, i dont mean just the file. I want my os and all my programs on this new Hard Drive i want this to be my primary hard drive with all the stuff restored back on it, os and all my programs the lot. My old hard drive the one with windows and all my programs i had before is broken its no good any more its in the bin. but i have a Ghost image of that drive now i want to put it on this new hard drive so it restores all my things to how they were.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 06:01:15 PM by Crafty »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 06:00:16 PM »
.... My old hard drive the one with windows and all my programs i had before is broken its no good any more its in the bin. but i have a Ghost image of that drive now i want to put it on this new hard drive so it restores all my things to how they were.

I use Ghost every week for backups.  I know what it does.  I have ver 7.0 DOS, only.

These files are on a cdrom the ghost image files are on my Hard drive secondary slave.

Change to 2nd hard drive and type dir.
Is ghost.exe there?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 06:14:42 PM by Computer_Commando »

merlin_2

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 06:03:24 PM »
most people have this setup......new hard drive/slave drive copy drive image to..what drive was norton on.....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 06:04:52 PM by merlin_2 »

Crafty

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 06:12:11 PM »
I just see .GHO or GHS Commander should this CDRom i have as a Norton boot disk boot in any computer even if that computer doesnt have an OS on its main hard drive?. Im totally stumped with this, It was my belife that if my hard drive went like it has i could just get another one stick in the norton boot disk and get the image of the other drive, Is this the case or not.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 06:17:26 PM by Crafty »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 06:16:33 PM »
I just see .GHO or GHS Commander should this CDRom i have as a Norton boot disk boot in any computer even if that computer doesnt have an OS on its main hard drive?,

Need to find ghost.exe.

gho is primary file; ghs is continuation.  Ghost backup files are limited to 2GB for FAT16 compatibility.

BTW, I use Ghost every week for backups.  I know what it does.  I have ver 7.0 DOS, only.  I boot to FDD and run Ghost from there.  It's small enough to fit with all necessary boot files.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 06:21:31 PM by Computer_Commando »

Crafty

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 06:24:05 PM »
I to have used this program lots of times. but only if i have had somthing go wrong with windows on my old hard drive wich after years od use now, is now in the bin. I have 3 ghost boot disks and they all booted before when i need to use the ghost to fix windows. But since  i took out the old broken hard drive since putting in the new hard drive non of these Boot disk will boot now. to enable me to goto the image i require. I carnt see that all 3 Norton boot discs are broken if you find anything else out could you let me know. Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 06:28:50 PM by Crafty »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 06:29:58 PM »
...I carnt see that all 3 Norton boot discs are broken if you find anything else out could you let me know. Thanks for the help.

You don't need your Ghost boot disk.  
You need to find an executable version of Ghost on one of the original Ghost installation CD's.  It might be:
ghost.exe or
ghostPE.exe

If you can find it, run it directly from the CD or copy it to the backup HD (it will run faster).

Detailed Instructions are here.
Ghost boot floppy disk is here.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 06:54:44 PM by Computer_Commando »

Crafty

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 07:20:08 PM »
Thanks for all your help guys, I placed the norton ghost boot disk in for the 15 time and guess what it decided to boot up on start up. Now why didnt it just do what its suppose to do in the first place. one day i know i will make a computer fly and it wont be by strapping a pair of wings on it. I just hope that nobody is below when it goes on its test flight.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 08:04:48 PM by Crafty »

Mac

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 07:42:17 AM »
Should have used Image for Windows and Image for DOS. Boots first time. ;D

Good to hear that it finally worked though.  8)