Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gateway Blue Screen  (Read 3428 times)

VickiLaurel

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Gateway Blue Screen
    « on: April 23, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »
    When I start up computer I get message that something is wrong with my computer and two options: repair or start normallly. Repair leads to a blue screen that says to run chkdsk /f which when I run says device is not ready. All the other chkdsk demands say the same thing. Safe mode does not work and I dont care about saving my information. Alls I want to do is be able to reinstall windows vista but when i boot from the cd it does not see my dvd.  I have windows vista 32

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Gateway Blue Screen
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:56:33 PM »
    What is the make and model of your computer?
    "Device not ready" and "the cd does not see my DVD" indicate a hardware problem, most likely caused by misconfiguration. If its a desktop, try resetting CMOS. If its a laptop, take out the battery, unplug it from the charger and press the power button a few times. Then try again.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Gateway Blue Screen
    « Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 05:33:00 AM »
    1) Replace the cmos battery then reset the bios to default.
    2) In the bios, find the device boot order and move the dvd drive to the top followed immediately by the hard drive.

If the system still doesn't boot properly you should at least be able to boot to the Vista cd now.