Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow, freezy, black screen with cursor - need hijackthis help!  (Read 4232 times)

reisender

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Have a PC that has the internet slowed down to a halt and many programs left unresponsive.  it will occasionally go into a black screen where only the mouse cursor is visible. 
    I ran malwarebytes, adaware and avast scans in safe mode and came up with nothing.  the hijackthis after the scans is below.
    (running windows 7)

Thanks for any help!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:29:03 AM by Allan »

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Slow, freezy, black screen with cursor - need hijackthis help!
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 09:30:08 AM »
    I deleted your log and moved the post to this forum. If we suspect malware we can address it at a later time. For now, please answer a couple of questions.

1 What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2 What happens when you boot to safe mode - do you have the same problem(s)?

3 Please provide some information about your system

reisender

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:37:42 PM »
      My partner downloaded a program called Pazera Free FLV to AVI converter, and the same day we had problems, so I suspect a virus/trojan. 

The internet slows to a crawl on the pc, but on my wireless laptop, all is good.  The browser is unresponsive, and most programs are as well.  Even clicking on the start button takes time to load, and sometimes shutting down doesn't work so I have to hold the power button.  It slows down, then goes back to normal, but eventually it comes to a crawl and the screen turns black. 

I was only in safe mode to run the scans, but everything seems fine, of course I can't get online, but the scanning software worked. 

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
      HP p7-1019
      Intel Pentium CPU G620

edit:  I'm in safe mode and I just opened FLV and Firefox and now the windows are giving trails. 

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:45:19 AM »
      My partner downloaded a program called Pazera Free FLV to AVI converter, and the same day we had problems, so I suspect a virus/trojan. 

Pazera Free FLV is a legitimate program, and shouldn't have a virus/trojan if you got it from a reliable source, such as Cnet.

At what point does the computer start acting up? As soon as it loads Windows or after you attempt to open a browser or other programs? What browser(s) have you tried using?

Also, visual performance in safe mode will be minimal since it doesn't load any graphics drivers. This may cause choppy window moving or trails so that may be unrelated.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 05:18:20 AM »
      Let's try a clean boot and see what happens.

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

reisender

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:38:14 AM »
        I might as well just format the PC for all the time that would take.

Anyway, after just carefully opening up the normal programs I do everyday one by one, I found no problems until I opened firefox 12.  Browsing was fine until I went to nhl.com   Right now it's the playoffs, so it's one of the first things I check and is generally open in a tab most of the time in the evening, so I didn't notice it as anything different.
        As soon as I enter the site, it slows down, becomes intermittantly unresponsive and the windows seize up and leave trails.
        When I close the tab, the problem is gone.

I can only guess it has something to do with the heavy graphics and flash or something video related.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:54:37 AM »
        It could also be attributed to the massive amount of traffic on their servers since it is the Playoffs...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "