Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LED Printer Drum Avg Lifespan? ~150 b/w A4 pages - dies within 5 mths  (Read 2747 times)

keyven

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

So I purchased a Brother LED Printer in May, and recently the Drum died after about 5 months (May > Oct).

My office uses the printer often (maybe 50 pages in the morning, 100 pages in the noon/afternoon - Mon to Sat) but, I don't think, excessively. So it comes as a surprise that the Drum has 'died' after only 5 months and will cost us about 60% of the initial cost of the printer to replace.

Does that sound correct? I'm a little leery of this and I don't want this to be an endless cycle of expensive drums. Googling it does not really bring up any relevant info.

Thanks in advance for any useful answers or links.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: LED Printer Drum Avg Lifespan? ~150 b/w A4 pages - dies within 5 mths
    « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 03:02:51 AM »
    Brother use to be good quality 20+ years ago with their typewriters etc, but when it comes to modern printers for business/volume printing, I go for HP Business Class Printers. Brother makes inexpensive Laser/LED Printers and they are not meant for high volume, but instead home users that dont print reams at a time. Even Panasonic use to be a quality name, and these days their Printers are junk for high volume use. Printers that I have had good luck with for volume printing are Xerox, HP, Canon, and Kyocera. These printers of these brands and business class printers will crank out 50,000+ pages before requiring maintenance kit etc if regular copy/print paper is run in them. But they come at a price compared to say Brother which can be $100 to $250 depending on model, whereas the business class printers are usually $400+ depending on model and features. Even when maintenance indicator trips on these, if you want to if the print quality is still good, you can reset the counter and continue to print until there is a quality issue. I have seen 130,000 printed pages before before a fuser unit acted up, and it could have gone further if a piece of scotch tape didnt make its way to its surface which must have been attached to a sheet to be printed.. Also the business class printers can also be leased sometimes in which the provider covers repairs and upkeep as part of the agreement. We leased from HP and Xerox before and the local service provider was great.

Salmon Trout

Re: LED Printer Drum Avg Lifespan? ~150 b/w A4 pages - dies within 5 mths
    « Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:01:21 AM »
    (maybe 50 pages in the morning, 100 pages in the noon/afternoon - Mon to Sat)

You get what you pay for. If you make a cheap printer (whatever brand) do heavy work, it wears out quicker than you want and uses up toner and replaceable items such as drums faster. Taking 5 months = 20 weeks, that means the pages printed are 150 x 6 x 20 = 18,000 pages. You do not say what the model is, but Googling "Brother LED printer drum life" showed me that the drum in the Brother HI-1470N printer has a 20,000-page lifespan.  There are many factors that determine the actual drum life, such as the temperature, humidity, type of paper, and duty cycle. Duty cycle is usually measured as the number of pages printed each month. Cheaper printers have a lower duty cycle. You don't want to get close to the duty cycle. You have been printing about 3,000 to 4,000 pages a month. To get a printer that will suit this workload, look for one with a duty cycle above that. One with a 10,000 page monthly duty cycle and a 50,000 page drum life means you won't be stressing it and the drum will probably last a year or more.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:12:04 AM by Salmon Trout »