Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP NEEDED  (Read 7603 times)

suarezlfc

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: HELP NEEDED
    « Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 09:23:37 AM »
    ok done that

it now comes up

c:\windows>

do i write exactly what you have written after the >                and do i hit enter afteri finish the 1st line?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »
    YES

suarezlfc

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 09:34:08 AM »
      the system can not find the file or directory specified

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 09:56:10 AM »
      Then unless you have been creating images of your system on a regular basis (as everyone should) there's nothing further you can do without either an XP CD or a recovery disc provided by your computer manufacturer.

suarezlfc

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »
        as you have probably worked out i am a complete novice when it comes to computers,so i have never backed up my computer at any stage,i have a master cd but it will take my computer back to factory settings and i face losing everything,which is something i really didnt want to happen

thanks for your time help and patience allan i greatly appreciate it

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
        If there is data you need to access you can either slave the drive to another computer (http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2007/04/23/how-to-slave-hard-drive/) or you can install a second instance of an OS on the same drive and then access the data from there. Afterwards you can use the cd you have to return to factory settings. In the future, I strongly urge you to implement a backup regimen. Here's something I put together a while ago:

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.

I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.

2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.

3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.

4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

suarezlfc

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 10:09:50 AM »
          i have learned my lesson i will def back p my computer whenever i get it going again

do you have any idea what might have caused my problem?

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »
          The problem you are experiencing is a corrupt registry hive (the software hive). What caused it, or why you don't have a copy of the default hive I don't know.