Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I cannot get skype to work again.  (Read 3667 times)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
I cannot get skype to work again.
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:59:02 AM »
Several months ago I was using skype to chat with friends quitre successfully, then suddenly one day, when  I was talking on skype and fooling around clicking on facebook, my skype bombed out.  I have never got it to work again.   Whenever I try I get messages telling me that skype installer is running but it never completes the installation.   My friend can call me and I hear the ring but i cannot respond.    ???

I have uninstalled skype programs and reinstalled them, I have replaced Adobe flashplayer ( someone told me to try that)  all to no avail.   I'm stumped.   :P

I am running windows 7, and ie-9.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong??   :)
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: I cannot get skype to work again.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:34:14 PM »
Run Revo uninstaller to remove the remnants of skype and re-install...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »
Patio:  Evidently I have used REVO before as it will not work now unless I purchase it.   It doesn't even bother to say how much it costs.   

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 09:07:56 PM »
Don't know what to tell you then...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:24:54 PM »
First, thank you for using one of "Top 50 favorite words that just aren't used enough", "avail".
I have tried to spread news of word, avail, but yet to no avail have I been successful.
(That's not a joke, I really do love the word...)

I was wanting to know, after you uninstalled Skype, did you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype and delete the entire contents of that folder?
And after, did you delete the contents of C:\Users\Your Username\AppData\Roaming\Skype ?

Occasionally (actually, all the time) uninstallers will fail to remove previous settings/configuration files. An installer may look for these same files upon installation to restore old settings, if yours were corrupt it may have caused problems during reinstallation.

I just looked up on Skype's website, this advise follows what they recommend:
https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10634/how-can-i-completely-uninstall-and-then-reinstall-skype?frompage=search&q=can't+reinstall&fromSearchFirstPage=false
They go a step further to check for old entries in the registry. You can read their details on how to do this. Or... since this is a support forum, I could tell you:

Windows 7:
Click Start, type regedit. Right click regedit.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
XP:
Click Start, click Run. Type regedit.exe, press enter.

When in Regedit:
Click the Edit menu button and "Find". Enter "Skype" in the search box.
Select the search results (Skype.com says "there can be up to 50".) Right click, delete.

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
PATIO: OK thanks for trying.   If I wasn't so cheap maybe I could do better.   I get really gunshy of some of the promotional Crp that goes around.  When I ran REVO I was a little hesitant about doing everything it suggested, especially if it involved the registry, I believe I was trying to get rid of WebSmartPrint at the time.    Meanwhile I think I will explore what ZYLSTRA recommends.

ZYLSTRA:  Thanks for the response.  I am going to look into that.   I will let you know if I have any success.