Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I change the mail hotkey from Outlook to GMail on my Logitech K260?  (Read 16600 times)

XtrGamer

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    Dear Experts,

I use a Logitech K260 Wireless keyboard which has several useful hotkeys like play/pause, mute, decrease and increase volume, homepage, mail, sleep button etc.

On my PC, the mail hotkey goes to Outlook, but unfortunately I don't use Outlook, I prefer GMail. So how can I make it access GMail instead of Outlook? Is there anyway of changing the default mail service from Outlook to GMail or something similar to that so that each time I want to write an email (which is very frequent) I can use the hotkey.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Its probably hard coded into the keyboard to perform an ascii burst, but I will try to hunt around to see if there is a way to redirect it. Its too bad outlook wasnt out on the www, because if so a hosts file alteration would be a easy redirection. You need your keyboards ascii burst to be www.gmail.com from the current outlook.exe burst.

OR a "Redirection HACK" to make this work is that if you never plan on using outlook a special outlook.exe replacing the outlook.exe which performs a batched instruction such as

iexplore "www.gmail.com"

Create the batch file, compile it as an exe and replace outlook.exe with this compiled batch.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    You can change key assignments in the Logitech Mouse & Keyboard Settings if you installed the Logitech driver.

XtrGamer

Topic Starter

Beginner
      You can change key assignments in the Logitech Mouse & Keyboard Settings if you installed the Logitech driver.
      How can I do that?

Allan

• Mastermind
      Open up the driver applet - you'll see how to do it.

XtrGamer

Topic Starter

Beginner
        Open up the driver applet - you'll see how to do it.
        I presume open the driver applet means go to Control Panel then Devices then Keyboards. But my keyboard comes as unknown device. When I select it and click on hardware properites and go to the drivers part, they tell me all the drivers are up to date when i try to update them. Worst of all. the computer thinks that the keyboard is manufactured by Microsoft. When I click for driver details, they tell me there are no driver files in the computer. Please help me guys!

Salmon Trout

A quick forum search for Logitech K260 suggests (others have asked this before) that there is no way to remap the keys. This is a very cheap wireless keyboard. The problem is that the email key opens your system default email program which apparently is Outlook. Gmail is a web based mail service that you access through your browser. The best you are going to get is to configure Outlook to use Gmail with POP/SMTP. Or if you have Google as you homepage then there will be a link to your Gmail account at the top.

Allan

• Mastermind
        If the keyboard doesn't come with or support a Logitech driver than Salmon Trout's post is absolutely correct.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Keyboards-and-Keyboard-Mice/Reassigning-K260-Keyboard-and-Mouse-Combo-and-Why-is-the-model/td-p/700062

Logitech's Setpoint software doesn't support that keyboard.

Reply 6, from moderator and Logitech employee (so an official response?):
        11-27-2011 10:38 AM

Unfortunately the K260 is not supported by Setpoint, it is not possible to reconfigure the keys.

However, you could try some third-party remapping software and see if you can get it to do what you want that way. Otherwise, I'd have to say there's not much you can do about it.

XtrGamer

Topic Starter

Beginner
          Guys one last try, will offline GMail help?

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          No. That just allows Gmail to still be used when you don't have a connection.

However, as I believe was already mentioned, you can configure Outlook to work with Gmail.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13273

Salmon Trout

as I believe was already mentioned, you can configure Outlook to work with Gmail.

Or Mozilla Thunderbird (in some ways better than Outlook)

http://www.guidingtech.com/2219/set-up-gmail-in-thunderbird/

http://lifehacker.com/314574/turn-thunderbird-into-the-ultimate-gmail-imap-client

Salmon Trout

I thought I would check out the tip I gave above: I tried installing Mozilla Thunderbird on my laptop (XP), and making it work with Gmail, and I have to say that it was one of the quickest and easiest things I have ever done. It took about 3 minutes. I downloaded Thunderbird and installed it. I checked the box to make it the default email client, supplied my Gmail address and password; told it to remember the password; set check for new mail interval to 1 minute; checked "check for new messages at startup"; Thunderbird did the rest. It downloaded all my folders and messages from Gmail. You can zoom to see this picture better: