Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop beeping  (Read 2794 times)

Littlemax

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop beeping
    « on: September 03, 2012, 06:20:13 PM »
    Hi I wonder if anyone could help me. I have a Dell Studio Laptop 1555 it's only 3 years old. I went to turn it on today and it started beeping at me no sign of any life in it. There were 7 beeps then a short pause before 7 more beeps, continuing on in that pattern. I checked the power supply taking battery off and running from mains, still resulted in the same. I removed the memory modules and tested again running with one in at a time to see if fault was with them and resulted in the same. I'm now at a loss as to what else it maybe other then the motherboard?! Hence me writing this any help would be appreciated. Also if it is my worse thought the motherboard does anyone have any idea, estimate on how much one would cost? Thank you in advance for any help.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop beeping
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:52:56 PM »
    Good evening Littlemax and welcome to CH

You are not going to like this 7 beeps means a bad CPU either loose or defective here is the link to Dell's site scroll down 80% and look for beep codes http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_7158A89B1BF75F3CE040AE0AB7E13A54&isLegacy=true

I would remove the CMOS battery (not the laptop battery on the bottom) then reboot. The 1 beep is CMOS corruption / MoBo failure. If I remember right the CMOS battery is just a regular CR2032 and is located under the big removalable plate under the laptop. But a new battery for like 3 bucks and replace the battery and while you have it apart use cans of air to blow out the heat sinks and fans.

Please let us know how you make out, Mike   
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Littlemax

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Laptop beeping
      « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:59:57 AM »
      Thank you very much for your help, i will certainly attempt this (once my eyes are more awake) and let you know how I get on.