Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No System Sounds on a Dell  (Read 5315 times)

Frazzled

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    No System Sounds on a Dell
    « on: September 03, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
    I have a Dell Dimension 3000. It is running XP SP3 and has 2 gig ram. I have recently noticed (don't know exactly how long) that I am having no system sounds. The startup,shutdown, usb insertion dings etc. My sound is working as I can play music either from the internet or a CD. I have no idea what is wrong. I have run several malware scans with no results. I have had in the past some malware that was removed as probably most computers have. I can't really say if this coincided with one another.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: No System Sounds on a Dell
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:28:45 PM »
    Good evening Frazzled and welcome to CH

OK so if I am understanding you correct you are NOT getting the windows sounds, but audio cd's / mp3 etc work.

It sound like the windows default audio is not selected in the sound audio device options when that is open look for the sound tab and see if one is selected.

Please let us know how you make out,  Mike
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

TechnoGeek

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 07:23:40 AM »
    Another thing to try if hartbeatmr's solution doesn't work for you is to click once on the taskbar volume icon, and click mixer. Make sure that 'system sounds' is not low or muted. If that looks fine you can open start -> run -> "mmsys.cpl", go to the sounds tab, and make sure a sound scheme is set up.

Frazzled

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »
      Thanks for answering guys, Hm mm, I checked the audio properties and the scheme that is selected is the windows default. Also the volume icon has the sound at maximum. I am at a loss here unless there is something going on whereby at boot-up or whatever, the sound card comes in or is initialized after windows. When I check each and every sound in the windows default, it works as it should, just not automatically when it should as when connecting a usb device.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »
      Good evening Frazzled and welcome back

I am sorry to hear that the tips did not work.

When you plug in the USB drive can you access it, like you can move data to and from it?

You may have a partially corrupt driver here you can download the driver http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/dimension-3000 Just pick the audio driver and follow the instructions.

Hopefully this helps, Mike 
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 12:33:48 AM »
      Start - Run - Type services.msc - Check your Windows Audio Service if its not disabled. If yes, double click and change to automatic and hit apply.  Check also Plug and Play if it is also activated.

Frazzled

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 05:24:57 AM »
        Thanks guys,
         I think I may have fixed it, though I do not know why. What I have done is to deselect  the default sound scheme,setting it to none, reboot, then reselect the default scheme, testing each sound making sure they were all assigned properly (which they were) and rebooting again. Now I can hear the wonderful windows sounds when the computer starts and shutdowns. Thanks for your help and ideas.