Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virtual Machine Internet connection problem...  (Read 4833 times)

approach_is_positive

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Virtual Machine Internet connection problem...
    « on: September 22, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
    I have a question to anyone out there... how can i connect virtual machine to internet connection? my host is Windows 7 and my VM is XP, im using Virtual Box...

TechnoGeek

Re: Virtual Machine Internet connection problem...
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »
    There are several modes for network connections in VirtualBox; I'll describe just 2.
    NAT processes all network requests from the VM and communicates them to the internet. You will not be able to access the local network except by IP Address (if even that) because it will usually be on a different subnet, network, etc.
    Bridged Networking causes the VM to use your network adapter directly. This allows it to communicate on the network more easily because it will appear as if your network adapter has two computers running on it. This is necessary to run the guest as a server or to read files off the local network. I've had to use this to run shared files on my host PC inside the guest PC to test them.

TL;DR: Just internet access? NAT should be fine. LAN access from inside the VM? Try bridged networking.

On the VM Settings, open Network Adapters.

Using NAT (the default): Select NAT and press OK.
    Using Bridged Networking: Select Bridged Adapter, and select your network adapter from the list. Then press OK

If both of these don't work, you have a different problem (such as a firewall blocking the VM.)

approach_is_positive

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 12:40:28 AM »
      both your suggestions didn't work :( I tried to unblock the Firewall but in didn't work too, do you have any  idea why this happend?

TechnoGeek

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:34:11 AM »
      Sounds like a bit more is going on than a simple internet connection here.

What kind of network adapter do you have; what sort of connection does your host have to the internet and through what routing devices or hubs; and does your host connect through a proxy server? Some of these configurations settings may be different on the guest PC from the host.

approach_is_positive

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »
        i've figured it out I actually did a device manager check and found out that the network adapter isn't detected, so I changed the virtual adapter of the VM and it works just fine now...

TechnoGeek

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:37:43 PM »
        Good to know it's fixed. I actually had that problem with one of my VMs and completely forgot about it :-[