Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Adapter not connecting  (Read 2835 times)

piratesteve83

Topic Starter

Beginner

Wireless Adapter not connecting
    « on: October 24, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »
    My computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 Series running Windows XP SP3.  I have a Netgear WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter #4.  I am trying to connect to a router in my home that I know for sure is working because I also run a Roku (streaming video) device off of it.  When I first restart my computer, the Windows Wireless Network tool shows me multiple available networks.  When I try to connect to one, it will stall.  I then have tried to "Repair" the connection by clicking repair in the Wireless Connections Window, at which point it tells me that it cannot complete the repairing process because it could not disable the wireless adapter.  My computer is still recognizing the adapter, so I'm wondering why this is.  After attempting to repair the connection, the Wireless Network Tool shows no available networks.  I'm wondering if maybe my wireless adapter is dying (is that possible?) or possibly there are some settings in my computer that need to be changed?  I know for sure the problem is not the router as it works fine with Roku.  Please help!  Thank you in advance!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Wireless Adapter not connecting
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:47:31 AM »
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102948.asp see the software and fix available to manage wireless network.

piratesteve83

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:50:04 AM »
      Thank you for the response!  I followed the instructions on the page, and now my network connection software is showing multiple networks, but it is still not allowing me to connect to any of them.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:12:13 AM »
      Try another USB port. Connect to your home network SSID and enter the correct password key. The security encryption (WPA/WPA2) set on the router must match on what your Netgear usb wifi adapter can support. Check WZC on your startup services also. Hit Start - Run - type services.msc - Enter. Look for Wireless Zero Configuration and see if the startup type is Automatic. If not, change and hit apply. See also, how to remove wireless network profile.

piratesteve83

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 03:17:49 PM »
        hey, that worked!  thank you!