Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help connecting PC to internet!  (Read 2746 times)

xender2

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Need help connecting PC to internet!
    « on: November 06, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
    My dad had a kind-of old Windows Xp-Pro computer. He got a laptop and gave the Desktop to me to put it in my room. The computer was connected to the internet for a long time, and I think it was plugged directly into the phone jack. (With one of those special thing-es to alow the internet and phone to be used at the same time.) There is a Phone jack in my room, aswell as three standerd plugs. Also in my room is the internet router/modem, (Whatever you call it.) it plugs into the phone jack. There is also a wireless modem/router (Again, whatever you call it) that produces a internet connection that the laptop and mobile devices connect to. I also have the Ethernet (yellow) cable, and some cable with male USB on one end and female USB on the other end. (Yes, im 13 and I know what male and female USB is. DEAL WITH IT. 8) ) But I think that cable was meant for the printer anyway. I have tried just about everthing, and I don't know how to connect this "device" to my computer via one of these cables. If more information is needed, thats ok.
    Can anyone help?    :'(

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Need help connecting PC to internet!
    « Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
    Is it going to be wired or wireless? I think since its a desktop, you would need the RJ-45 or the ethernet cable to be put in directly to your router and the other one at the back of your desktop. Otherwise, call your dad. ;D

xender2

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:11:49 AM »
       :P :PI will provide more info!
      I have a SpeedStream 6520 wireless  ADSL gateway from SIEMENS (Thats what it says on back) My computer is a Compaq.
      XP-PRO.

jchunk

Rookie
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:43:29 AM »
        does you internet service provider use DSL?
        "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong!"