Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Freezing Computer  (Read 3445 times)

Shawn

Freezing Computer
« on: October 02, 2005, 01:38:37 PM »
I hope someone can help me out!!! I have been having this problem where my computer will just freeze while playing games (Guild wars, sims 2) and i dont know why. it freezes to the point where to mouse wont more and i have to turn off my computer using the front of the computer to reboot the hole thing. Why is it doing this?

GX1_Man

Re: Freezing Computer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 01:51:40 PM »
When did this start? It sounds like inadequate cooling, power supply or bad RAM, probably in that order.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 01:52:26 PM »
Which operating system are you using? Have you scanned ofr viruses and Spyware? How much RAM do you have? Which video card do you have? Does your computer meet the game's requirements? When did this start? Has it always done this?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Shawn

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 06:34:02 PM »
I have great cooling in my computer and the ram has been checked its not bad at all and i have scaned for spyware and viruses but have not found any and i have a 500 watt power supply and i have windows xp home and all of its uptodate and i have a 256MB nvidia PX6600 with 2GB of ram in my computer and it started about 3 monts ago and i have reformatted my computer since thena and still get the problem

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 06:52:51 PM »
    Is it just those 2 games?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 07:14:54 PM »
    Is it only while gaming, or does this happen with web surfing, etc., too??

Shawn

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 09:09:16 PM »
    It only happens while im gamming

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 09:19:59 PM »
    This is a heat or video card issue. Try reseating the card and check system temps if you can.

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 09:31:44 PM »

Shawn

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 09:37:26 PM »
      My video card drivers are fine and my computer is not overheating whats the normal temp for a computer?

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 09:45:05 PM »
        My video card drivers are fine

How is your eyesight?

"Game crashes while being played

Verify no patches or updates are available from the developer of the game. See our game developer page for a listing of links to game company pages. Many times the game developer will list the available drivers. If you are not sure who the developer of a game is, use a popular search engine and search for drivers for your game. In most cases a game will start out as version 1.0.
        Other programs running in the background while playing a game can cause issues. Make sure all programs and TSRs are closed; additional information about closing all programs can be found on document CHTSR. If you still continue to run into issues, try installing the program from safe mode.
        Make sure you have the latest updates for your video and sound card. A listing of video drivers can be found on our video card drivers page. Verify you have the latest sound drivers for your sound card. A listing of sound drivers can be found on our sound card drivers page.
        If the above recommendations do not resolve your issues, attempt to install the game again.
        Problems with video

Verify you have the latest video drivers for your video card. A listing of video drivers can be found on our video card drivers page.
        If the game utilizes Microsoft DirectX it is possible you may have an issue with DirectX that was caused during the installation of another game or program. Make sure you have the latest version of DirectX installed on the computer. Additional information about DirectX can be found on our DirectX page.
        Problems with sound

Verify you have the latest sound drivers for your sound card. A listing of sound drivers can be found on our sound card drivers page.
        See document CH000201 for additional information about games and sound related issues."

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 04:32:00 AM »
        It's official. That computer is possessed !! :o :o :o :o

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 08:16:01 AM »
        Ever since I joined this forum I associate the word freezing with negligence and frustration.

Search the smegging forum!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 01:10:28 PM »
        My video card drivers are fine and my computer is not overheating whats the normal temp for a computer?

If the normal temp for a computer is an unknown variable then how can one rule out overheating as an option ? ?

patio.  8)
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "