Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot connect to my wireless/stay connected  (Read 2811 times)

oozabooza

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Cannot connect to my wireless/stay connected
    « on: January 26, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »
    Hi, I have an old inspiron 1525 laptop that has been having connectivity issues lately.  Sometimes it logs on to our wireless just fine but then for seemingly no reason will lose connection.  It tells me that 'networks are available' and then when I try to log on it tells me there is no network in the area.  Right now it has found my network but is telling me "the capability of your network adapter does not meet the requirements of this network."  When I run 'diagnose and repair' it tells me there is nothing wrong, yet still won't connect.  And now as I sit here it tells me "Windows cannot find any networks." It is very frustrating, other devices are connected to the wireless with no issues so I know it is a computer based problem.  And occasionally it works with no issues at all.  I am a novice when it comes to the mechanisms of computers, like seriously for many of you I will need 'face-in-palm' level directions on how to do anything more complicated than installing turbotax.  So, I appreciate any help you can give me but I'll need very basic, step-by-step directions.  Thanks so much!

truenorth

Guru

Re: Cannot connect to my wireless/stay connected
      « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:19:08 AM »
      If you have an available usb port then you could try an external dongle router on the computer as the problem could be related to a weak internal wi-fi chip.You might want to (before the latter) look on the internet for updated drivers for the internal wi-fi of the computer.truenorth

oozabooza

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:57:24 AM »
        Thank you for your response! Would you mind telling me what a driver is and where I would find that? I'm very unfamiliar with how computers operate, etc.  Thanks very much!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »
        Go to www.support.dell.com
        Enter your Dell Service Tag (located on the bottom of the laptop).
        Everything about your Inspiron 1525 is there, including the original shipment date & what items were shipped.

oozabooza

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »
          Thanks, I'll give it a try.  Appreciate the help!