Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Diagnostic  (Read 2942 times)

Harshman

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Diagnostic
    « on: March 16, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »
    I have a new Samsung PC with Windows 8 and had my Office 2007 w/outlook installes by a computer service. They also did my data transfer. My concern is that when running the diagnostic program I got some reports that concern me. I have attached the spec of my PC and the reports (2 files) Any review and input would be appreciated.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Diagnostic
    « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 09:58:10 AM »
    Why did you run the MS Office Diagnostic tool?  Were you just curious or did you have a specific reason?  How is the computer running?  How is MS Office running?  Has your Office 2007 been updated to install Service Pack 3? 

Was the computer service that installed your Office 2007 software a service of the store where you purchased the computer or an independent computer service shop?  Why did you feel the need to have someone install Office 2007 for you?  Have you never installed such software before?

Exactly what parts of that diagnostic report concern you?  Is it the part about the hard drive and the part about RAM? 

Harshman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »
      answers to your questions.
      1. don't know why I ran it. probably having a little conflict and run the diagnostic was suggested
      2. computer is running good.
      office seems to be running good. had some issues with outlook but most have been resolved
      3. don't know about service pack 3. how do I check.
      4. independent computer repair shop did a data transfer and I wanted to make sue outlook was install with all my previous pst data..with calendar etc. that actually did not get completed but I found a way to do it my self with a ABF program.
      5. always had my PC's installed with new programs but this time I needed new hardware and wanted to save money and install my windows office with my keycodes and had it done by the repair shop.
      6. the diagnostic concerned me because ut is a brand new pc with 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M 2.5GHz plus Turbo Boost Technology 3MB L3 Cache Processor; 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory, Expandable to 8GB : •   750GB 5400RPM SATA2 Hard Drive
      My old PC was a 80 GB 2 Gig memory

I just thought there shuld be no deficiencies.
      Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »

1. don't know why I ran it. probably having a little conflict and run the diagnostic was suggested
      What does that mean? What conflict?

Harshman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
        I was having issues with outlook. messages going to outbox when before they would send immediately. Before I found Coputer Hope I Googled for an answer and probably found a suggestion to run diagnostic and when I saw the report I was concerned because this is a brand new PC. Do you still have the attachments?

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 04:27:53 PM »
        As I believe we've already discussed, messages are supposed to go to the outbox before being sent.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 05:35:18 PM »
        To see whether SP3 for Office 2007 is installed, open Word, click the Office icon in the upper left corner of the Word window, click Word Options at the bottom of the panel that opened, and click Resources in the left column of the Word Options panel.  The bottom item in that panel is "about Microsoft Office Word 2007".  Immediately under that title, you should see Microsoft Office Word 2007, followed by a version # in parenthesis, and then followed by "SP3" if it is installed.

If it is not installed, it should appear in the list of updates the next time Windows Update runs.  Or, you can initiate it by running Windows Update or by selecting "get updates" in the Resources panel mentioned above. 

The diagnostics report you attached to your previous post seems to contradict itself. Near the top, it says it found no problems but then farther down, it mentions a possible hard drive issue along with some comments about SMART, the Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology found on some hard drives.  And then farther down, the report says "The Memory Diagnostic found evidence of failure in the random access memory (RAM)." 

So, again, it seems to contradict itself.  I'm inclined to suggest ignoring the report and just focus on your actual experience with the computer.  How long does it take to get to the login screen when you start your computer?  When you first open Word, how long does it take?  When you close Word and reopen it, does it open almost immediately? 

Harshman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »
          I do have the service pack 3. That's for all your time and giving me peace of mind.