Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Premier League seeks ISP site block in piracy swoop  (Read 3541 times)

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Premier League seeks ISP site block in piracy swoop
« on: June 23, 2013, 12:44:08 PM »
The Premier League is to request a court order forcing internet service providers to block a popular football streaming website before the next season.

The League wants ISPs to cut off access to FirstRow1.eu, which operates from Sweden.

The BBC understands none of the ISPs plans to challenge the court order.

If successful, the action will be the first sport-related site block in the UK.

The Premier League's move follows a precedent set by the BPI music industry body, which has been successful in having several piracy websites blocked in the UK, most notably the Pirate Bay.

In those cases, ISPs have stood firm and insisted they would only take action if ordered to do so by the courts.

The UK's major ISPs each received a letter from the Premier League outlining a possible court order, and were given a deadline of Friday to signal any intent to challenge the action.

When approached by the BBC, none of the ISPs would comment specifically on the Premier League's planned action, but all reiterated that blocking of sites would not be done voluntarily.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23004880

For me personally I think they're going too far now. If bodies like the BPI and FA have control over the UK internet then where do we stop? For me it just means I create a new video on how to get around this block but for others it's just more control over the 'free internet'.
For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Premier League seeks ISP site block in piracy swoop
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:33:49 PM »
If bodies like the BPI and FA have control over the UK internet then where do we stop?
Next thing you know we'll be able to marry vegetables!
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »
Sheep can't cook though...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

blackrainbow

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Freaks geeks and autographs shop
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 02:13:07 AM »
is this all linked with SOAP?, i belive in freedom of indormation, any thing you want to learn about can befound online :) but why do people want to try and force ISPs to block sites when theres always around, or they would make a new web site with a diffrent domain, so premimer legue block a streaming site well another one would pop up