Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Creating New Home Theater Setup  (Read 3515 times)

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Creating New Home Theater Setup
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:14:33 AM »
I currently have Panasonic SC-BT235 Blu-ray Disc 1000W Home Theater Sound System and I'm looking to upgrade it to a true home theater system. I'm not looking for something that plays blu-rays, but rather something with good sound within a reasonable budget.

A/V Reciever:
I want a to create at least a 5.2 channel surround sound system. I was looking at a/v receivers and I was thinking about either the Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel ($328.00) or the apparently newer version of the 515, the Onkyo TX-NR525 5.2-Channel ($399.99). Is the 525 worth the upgrade over the 515? Or perhaps maybe even consider the Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel (359.99) instead?

As far as speaker placement, I was thinking about the standard setup as you see below:

Right and Left Front Channel Floor-standing Speakers:
I was thinking about 2x Polk Audio Monitor 55T Two-Way Ported Floorstanding Speakers ($147.00).

Subwoofer
Polk Audio PSW121 12" Powered Subwoofer ($199.99).

Center Speaker:
Polk Audio TL1 Speaker Center Channel   ($63.49)

Right and Left Rear Channel Speakers:
Aperion Zona Wireless Surround Speaker System ($389.00). The reason I need these rear channel speakers to be wireless is because I live in an apt and I am not allowed to staple the wiring around my wall to keep it neat. And since I have a pet, simply running the wires across the ground is not a option for me either, not to mention it doesn't look great. I think I found a good solution for my problem with the Aperion Wireless Surround Speakers, but the price is what's bothering me. I can't seem to find any cheaper alternatives.

I have voltage regulator and great surge protector, so I'm not worried about protecting the setup. But let me know what are your thoughts about my possible setup? And recommendations and potential changes are welcomed!

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Creating New Home Theater Setup
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:21:23 PM »
Looks like a nice setup to be.

Only problems I have heard of with setups like this are when they are placed into rooms with wooden paneling vs sheet rock. Neighbor of mine bought an insane home theater setup and soon found himself having to rip the paneling out to replace with sheet rock. The problem was the sound vibrating off the wooden paneling walls was making for noise and uneven bounce of the soundwaves. Movies like Top Gun with the sound set to like 6 of 10 or certain frequencies would make the wooden paneling resonate and make for annoyance of noise. So sheet rock walls were the fix.

If you dont have wooden paneling walls like he had, then you should be all set.