Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista updates not working.  (Read 4318 times)

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Vista updates not working.
    « on: June 29, 2013, 07:02:35 AM »
    My computer won't install IE 9 (currently using IE 7, which makes browsing really slow at the moment). When I try I get "service pack not supported" so I click on "get update" which takes me to a microsoft support page on Firefox telling me I need certain prerequisites. It says I should check for updates, which I did, and there was 1 "important" service pack waiting. So  I set it going. But it failed and I got "encountered an unknown error" and code 80070017. So I clicked on "get help with this error". Windows help gives me a list of thirty or so topics about this which is simply overwhelming. I don't know what most of this stuff means! I use my computer for browsing, emails, word docs and sometimes simple games - I don't want to learn all this technical stuff! I eventually get to "install sp2 manually". It started downloading (there was no run or open options - although the instructions said there would be - so I clicked on save. This took about twenty minutes maybe longer, during which time my computer would hardly do anything at all and seized up a few times - surely this isn't right or acceptable? Then when it finally finished, I then went onto "run" and got a "preparing your computer" progress bar, then the installation began. After a long time a box appears saying the unstallation was not successful "data error. Cyclic redundancy Check" along with ERROR_CRC(0x80070017).
    I've looked online and the info i find all seems to involve downloading and installing other progranms in order to donload and install something else and so on and so on. It's like those russian dolls but never ending.
    I just want IE 9 so my email (and several other sites) will no longer be working at a crawl! I've wasted an entire day messing with this!
    Someone please help before I throw this machine out of a window, because i can't afford to buy another!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Vista updates not working.
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:09:22 PM »
    Is this the same computer that was bought 2nd hand and is missing the web cam software? It might be a bootleg or corrupt or dirty build. A person came up to me with a laptop he picked up cheap in singapore a few years ago and it had a pirated copy of Windows Vista on it that had serious issues. I directed him to buying a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium for it since it had plenty of CPU and Memory with the Core 2 Duo and 3GB RAM with 160GB HDD. He had that option or to get the original recovery set for 1/2 the cost of Win 7 to set the laptop back to factory as it should have been when he bought it cheap in a hole in the wall market in singapore.

If you like Vista you will want to get the original system recovery set from Acer.  However if you want to run Windows 7 instead, as long as you have 2GB of RAM or more, I'd go with a new license of Windows 7 Home Premium, although you still would be missing the webcam software you need with Windows 7 unless you get both and perform a clean install of Vista from system recovery set and then bring it forward to Windows 7 with the software already installed from system image.

Here is the other thread you have that may be the same computer? http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,138480.msg883723.html#msg883723

Sadly this is a weak Acer Laptop which also maxes out on 2GB RAM. It can run Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium if needed, but 64-bit might not perform as well on 2GB RAM. Windows 7 32-bit starts at 1GB RAM running slow and 2GB running ok, Windows 7 64-bit really needs 2GB bare minimum and runs better of 3GB or more if ever thinking of running Windows 7 on this single-core Celeron 1.86Ghz http://www.cnet.com/laptops/acer-aspire-5315-2142/4505-3121_7-32816277.html

I have a Dell laptop running a 1.5Ghz single-core Celeron with 2GB RAM with Windows 7 32-bit and while it is not a powerful laptop, it runs Windows 7 32-bit ok on it with 120GB PATA HDD. This 1.86Ghz CPU in the Acer is a hair faster than mine.

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 03:41:52 AM »
      This isn't the Acer - that one belongs to a friend of mine.
      This one is a Toshiba 32bit with 2 gig ram. Vusta Home Premium. It has service pack one, but refuses to install service pack 2.

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:09:54 AM »
        Come on guys, any ideas? Don't let me down, I've always had faith in Computer Hope Forum!

Javier

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 04:24:06 AM »
          have you ever tried to run a complete checkup for drivers? with help of some specific software it will be easier to handle all drivers update issues. i recommend some site for you to look for drivers software, ok? and choose the one you like. but all are free of virus
          http://softdownfast.com/Smart-Driver-Updater.html
          or go to the microsoft technical forum there are more experts! good luck!
          http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 04:59:37 AM »
          Do you have the original Windows disk?  If so, insert it, then go to start - type cmd in the search box - right click on cmd and click run as administrator.  Type "sfc /scannow" without quotes but including the space, then hit enter.
          This will replace any damaged system files with fresh copies from the DVD.

This does not sound like a driver issue as Javier has posted, I would not recommend using a "driver updater" package as they do more harm than good.

SuperTweaker

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »
          Download SP2 standalone and install it that way. Makes sure SP2 is from a Microsoft website after you search Google for  "vista sp2 standalone download".