Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pci video card (low profile)  (Read 3522 times)

Bill Horn

pci video card (low profile)
« on: October 10, 2005, 06:47:24 AM »
I have a Dell Desktop PC and it has onboard graphics. I want to put a Video card in it, but it has to be low profile and not a big power hog.
Will a small card, like a 64mb, do me any good? Anything higher seems to require a 240watt power supply, and according to specs on my machine, the power outage is 120 watts! What can I do besides buying a new system, or building one? >:( >:(

GX1_Man

Re: pci video card (low profile)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 12:56:54 PM »
What model is this? Let's check that power supply, but I think 64 meg. is definitely as high as I would go with a 200 watt or less.

knarlybill

Intermediate

• To go boldly where others have warned me about.
    « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 04:09:54 AM »
    It is a Dimension 4500S.According to the Owners Manual, the wattage is 180W. But, will I see a difference in game play with a 32MB or 64MB video card vs the onboard INTEL 845G?
    What a long, strange trip its been...

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 08:39:28 AM »
    Probably so. The difference is between AGP and PCI bus (AGP is faster) vs. shared memory or a discrete card with it's own memory. The 32 could be close, but 64 on a card will beat it. The shared memory of the onboard graphics has a max. amount of RAM available to it, depending on system RAM.

knarlybill

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 04:19:16 AM »
      Thanx for the info...do you know a good site to buy a card? I've been through Tigerdirect, Newegg, Geek Shop, etc.. and the one I want I can't find out what the power requirements are. >:(
      I'm trying to soup-up this ole machine untill I can build my own.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 08:26:57 AM »
      eBay is a agood place to look. I just sold a 64 meg. card such as this on there a few weeks ago.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 08:27:14 AM »
      eBay is a a good place to look. I just sold a 64 meg. card such as this on there a few weeks ago.

knarlybill

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 02:13:08 PM »
        I haven't found one on ebay, however, I have found  a GeForce4 MX440SE @64mb, but I can't find out the power requirements. I'd hate to buy it and it not work. From the picture it looks like a low profile too, but I don't know for sure. I went to a web site on this card but it was in Czech >:( Whatda-ya-think???
        « Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:13:40 PM by knarlybill »

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 02:16:46 PM »
        The Geforce MX440 would be fine. (As a matter of fact that's what I had!) The SE is usually a crippled version that certainly won't have all of the performance, but if it is a VERY reasonable price, I wouldn't be scared of it. It should work well in that machine. Don't be in a hurry. Just wait for a GeForce 32 or 64 meg (without the LE or SE suffix) and you will be more pleased, but they are a little harder to find.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

knarlybill

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 02:37:03 PM »
          Thank you for the heads-up 8)

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 01:30:48 PM »
          Low profile bracket is to fit low profile slots (the cards are shorter than the normal one's) On most Dells, if you insert a PCI card in the slot and connect a monitor to it, it will use that. Nothing to disable in BIOS. You will still see the onboard in Control Panel/System, but there's nothing special you need to do about that.