Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is Trojan  (Read 2857 times)

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    What is Trojan
    « on: November 23, 2013, 07:10:08 AM »
    Hi -
    I have Windows 7 and use IE 9.  This morning I ran SuperAntiSpyware.  It found 1 pr5oblem.  It was in the registry and was:  Trojan.Agent/Gen.  My question is:  What does that do to my computer?  As far as I can tell everything is fine.  Does the person who put that in my computer expect to get information?  Do they expect to cause my computer to shut down?  Any explanation would be appreciated.  Thanks    Bob

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: What is Trojan
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 10:00:48 AM »
    Like your other post about what Malwarebytes found, this is something Internet users can pick up from using the Internet.  For a reference on Trojan Horse malware, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing).  And, it's why using protection apps like Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware is a good practice for all Internet users. 

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »
      soybean -
      I checked the article you suggested.  Now I would like to know how to keep malware out.  I have avast Free Antivirus running at "start".  I only run MalwarebytesAntimalware and Super Antispyware about once a week.  Should I have both of the two running all the time?  I think my Windows Fire wall is on all the time as I can't figure out how to turn it off.  What effect does that have?    Thanks for your time.     Bob

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »
      I have avast Free Antivirus running at "start".  I only run MalwarebytesAntimalware and Super Antispyware about once a week.
      You're doing fine.  Keep it up.

I think my Windows Fire wall is on all the time as I can't figure out how to turn it off.  What effect does that have? 
      You should not turn it off.  Always keep your firewall active. 

Chris G.

Rookie

• Yes
      « Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 06:07:53 AM »
      Hi guys
      many people think that an antivirus program would solve all their problems. More important in my opinion is that you always open your eyes when installing new software, when getting emails from strangers or clicking on ads or buttons on the internet.
      Me myself got a couple of emails with .tar's and .zip's from a strange italian hotmail account. I opened them on a Linux VM and uploaded them on virustotal.com (really good site) and just got trojan results from half of the antivirus programs. => So there always is some new bad stuff around which does not get recognized by every program.
      But still a firewall and an antivirusprogram always is something you should use, because it's your small "mother's little helper".

I know that most of you already know these kind of posts, but still not everyone is aware of this problem, so that I posted it again.

-------
      I think the .tar's and .zip's were linked with the Adobe Hack, because that was the E-mail I used for my Adobe-Account.
      (Some background-information  ;D)