Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how much can this effect my cpu lifespan  (Read 6057 times)

pv2016riogold

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    how much can this effect my cpu lifespan
    « on: December 07, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
    Hello and thank you for reading this help would be really appreciated alright I just got a envy touchsmart 17.3 inch laptop and it has a intel core i7 4700mq processor it normally runs at 2.4 ghz but with turbo boost it goes up to 3.4GHz so when I run emulators like gamecube or Nintendo ds emulators turbo boost kicks in and keeps it around 3.2-.3.3 GHz and itll stay on for an hour or two so it does make my cpu get a bit warm but once it gets to hot I give it a brake and It stays in my bedroom which is in the basement so its pretty cold down here how much could the cpu last if I use it like this and how much would it cost to replace it please help and sorry for any spelling errors in a hurry I had to go somewhere

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: how much can this effect my cpu lifespan
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 07:21:56 PM »
    It's working normally, just don't block the cooling intake & exhaust vents.  If it does overheat, the computer will shut itself off.  You can monitor temps with HWInfo.  http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »
    Let me add one thing. The CPU will protect itself.  This is not true of other components, such as the RAM chips and the Hard drive.

cengbrecht

Beginner

• Yes
      • Memory Express
    « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »
    The Turbo Boost tech in all Intel Hardware is designed to run at the set speeds, this is the normal operation of the CPU.
    It shouldn't shorten the life span of your computer unless it gets too hot for too long. (As said previously, just don't block the vents, and make sure you clean your computer with compressed air.)

As for the cost, it depends on if the CPU is in a socket or mounted to the board by soldier. If its the first, then probably the cost of a CPU. Otherwise, more expensive than its worth.
    E=mc˛ -- Who knows if this applies, but hey everyone will think I am smart now!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:47:34 PM »
    Lifespan wise expect to lose 20 to 33 %...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »
    Turbo boost should not affect the lifespan of the CPU, the CPU will only turbo when it is at a safe enough temperature to do so.  Also remember that a CPU will have a very high lifespan (by the time it fails, if it ever does, it will likely be several years since it was already completely obsolete) so even if turbo boost did affect lifespan, the CPU would have already passed its useful life well before it failed.

Lifespan wise expect to lose 20 to 33 %...

Where did you get that figure from?  Or is it just a guess plucked out the air?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 05:28:15 PM »
    from overclocked...
    Most CPUs are stress/tested for a 7 year span at normal operating temperatures, saw normal was 45 deg C at full load all the time, and you OC to 65 deg C full load all the time, then the factor would be 2.89 decrease in time, so roughly 2.5 year lifespan... but CPUs are dynamic, spending much less than 10% of their life at full load... so, frankly, it would not be a problem.
    That answer is a good as any.