Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Regular Windows freezes  (Read 2102 times)

swiggu

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Regular Windows freezes
    « on: January 05, 2014, 05:37:25 AM »
    So, around a month or two ago I bought and assembled a new PC.

Right off the bat, I've been getting regular freezes after installing all the drivers, notably those of my video card.

At first I thought my video card was faulty, and soon purchased a new one from a more reliable manufacturer (ASUS, previously Club 3D). Although this did reduce the frequency of these freezes, they still occur, and in the same way. As of now, I think this can outrule it being by video card.

I've ran multiple passes of RAM tests with Memtest86+, ran benchmarks on my CPU (Prime95) and video card (Furmark) to no live repetition of the problem for about 15 minutes for each (the amount of time recommended for both on other troubleshoots I've come across). In these scenarios, these units of hardware should be stressed to the max and thus forcing the freeze to reoccur, but it doesn't. As such, it may be my fairly low-end Sharkoon 500W WPM PSU that could be the problem, as I've heard it may sometimes provide tens of watts less in power (around 450~, whilst advertising 500), as I've noticed a critical error called "Event ID 41: Kernel power" in my windows event viewer.

It is either the aforementioned or my CPU (AMD FX-6300) at this point, perhaps a general lack of certain parts of my PC.

I really do think I'm past my options if it's none of the above and I'd appreciate any help I can get!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Regular Windows freezes
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:37:56 AM »
    Please do not start multiple threads on the same subject. I'm locking this one.