Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stopping CHKDSK Mid-Process?  (Read 3918 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Stopping CHKDSK Mid-Process?
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:38:15 AM »
I have a fairly new WD 1TB external HDD (that saga is well documented elsewhere).

Uploading a file, I got a status message "Cyclic Redundancy Check".... And the file itself launched the appropriate software, but never populated with data.

So some quick Googling suggested running chkdsk /f

For 20 minutes, it has been parked at 0% complete, with 8880 of 187648 file records processed. (The first 8750 or so file records flew by in less than a second).

Pulling the plug seems like a very bad option.

Do I have any good options at this point?

(WIN 7 64-bit)

And, no, the drive isn't backed up.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Stopping CHKDSK Mid-Process?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:52:52 AM »
Leave it alone for a while and see what happens - 20 minutes isn't that long (is the hd light active?). As you rightly surmise, stopping checkdisk before it completes is not a good idea. And by the way, the correct command in the future is chkdsk /r (which runs BOTH a disk integrity check and the file check). Shame on you for not having a current backup or image.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
It's now 40 minutes with no movement on that one file record, and I will have a forced reboot by remote IT folks in two hours, so here's hoping!  When do I give up?

Also - the "traffic light" on the drive, that usually blinks rapidly during read/write, is blinking slowly and steadily.

It's mostly a bunch of media files... So I don't keep it backed up because it's largely "who cares". (And, to be honest, about 80 percent is backed up somewhere else. Just not As a Backup per se).

I was mostly saying that because I didn't want the answer to be "Unplug and restore from backup".
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »
There might be a physical problem with the drive that's causing the problem. Actually, the fact that you are running with the "f" switch rather than the "r" switch SHOULD allow you to restart mid-process without too much damage. The slow and steady blinking would typically indicate that it's stuck. Go ahead and force the reboot. After doing so, I'd download the and run the diagnostic utility from the hd manufacturer's website.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:32:27 AM »
Yeah I'd started to d/l WD's diagnostics, but thought chkdsk would be the better start.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:52:19 AM »
Now it's just a steady light, and hasn't moved off that one record.

So, yeah, I'd wager that's the corrupt file screwing everything else up.

Anyway to figure out what file record 8880 is?

Allan

• Mastermind

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »
A severe hardware failure will hang a data transfer.

After a very long wait, you will have to terminate the job.

You should try the drive in another enclosure. I think the enclosure interface is failing. If I am wrong, the drive itself is in big trouble.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 10:43:59 AM »
Ah, you and I have been around that issue before (changing enclosures!). This device is less than six months old, so I hope not.

As soon as I closed the CMD window, the lights went back to normal, the drive mounted, and everything seems fonzie now.

I'm just going to shred the file that gave me the error and see what WD's Smart Ware has to say.

Thanks, guys.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 11:38:12 AM »
What do you mean as soon as you closed the command window? Were you running checkdisk from within the OS? Was this not your system drive?

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 03:15:13 PM »
Sorry, thought it was implied in my OP when I said it was an external HDD that it wasn't the system drive.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
I apologize - I read right past it - and it was in your first sentence.