Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buying Win 7 premium  (Read 8301 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Buying Win 7 premium
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 01:36:53 PM »
Quote from: Geek-9pm on Today at 10:43:19 AM
    No you can't

From the very thing you quoted:

NOTE: When you download the ISO file, you must copy the file onto a USB flash drive or a DVD to install Windows 7. When you're ready to install Windows 7, insert the USB flash drive into your USB port or insert your DVD into your DVD drive, and then run Setup.exe from the root folder on the drive.
Correct.  The implication is if one does not work, try the other.
But the DVD does not always work.  In which case you must use the USB option.
When using the USB option, the user should put the product  key into the USB drive as a text file. This is documented elsewhere.

The point I want to make  is that installing from the DVD is not possible in always. That statement "install from the DVD" many users would take to mean only obvious exceptions would happen. Not so.  When it fails it will not say "Oh, sorry, install failed. But you might try installing from a USB after finding the documentation somewhere."
NO, it never ever says that.
The user might  turn around seven times and jump up and down. And that does not work either. The issue is documented on the MSN forums. How would the user know he has to go to a social forum to find out?

The DVD can never tell you about future issues that were unknown at the time the DVD was made. Do I need to prove that? ::)
Perhaps a future version of Windows to  tell you ahead of time that MS is going to change somethings the will interfere with your ease-of-install experience.
But I don't think so.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 01:42:13 PM »
The implication is if one does not work, try the other

I don't see any such implication; I see a simple "here are two alternatives - choose the one you find most convenient".

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 02:00:31 PM »
I don't get the whole implication of the assumption that a DVD install is destined to fail...
I'm closer now to slammin this shut than i was yesterday so follow up points better make some sense.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 02:44:55 PM »
I don't see any such implication; I see a simple "here are two alternatives - choose the one you find most convenient".
That is what most would think. The quote c same from Microsoft. The preferred way now to install Windows is to do a download, read the documentation, put  it  on a USB and do it from there.
New motherboards have features the hate DVD does not handle  as well as you would expect. Which was the point of my rant. Using a USB resolves unforeseen problem. You just add a new  file into the USB that corrects the problem.

The original post was about if he could get a retail DVD that could be used to install in the future on a new motherboard. The correct answer is either NO or a qualified YES. In the future.  you will have to put stuff on a USB stick to help the instal, unless the motherboard just happens be fully compatibly with the old DVD windows.
I never meant to imply the DVD will always fail.
Nor did I mean it will fail often.
Rather,  when it does fail you may not know why. 

The specific case I think about is like this:
You buy a desktop PC with Windows home preloaded.
You like it, but you what to the professional version. Instead of doing a download from the MS store, you  go buy a new retail Windows professional DVD.
Install fails. Only error message is "Invalid product key."
It was documented on the MSN forums.
The moderator on MSN tells you to do it from a USB.
You do. It works.  :)

Please don't tell people it is always easy to install from the retail DVD.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »
That is what most would think.
It is the only sane interpretation.

The preferred way now to install Windows is to do a download, read the documentation, put  it  on a USB and do it from there.
No, it is merely one alternative. If there is any preference, it is because a USB Flash drive is much faster than a DVD.

New motherboards have features the hate DVD does not handle  as well as you would expect.
This is complete and absolute nonsense. There are no features of motherboards that a DVD does not handle, because the software is exactly the same. You just made that up- otherwise you would be able to provide specific examples instead of vague indications.

Which was the point of my rant. Using a USB resolves unforeseen problem. You just add a new  file into the USB that corrects the problem.
USB avoids the problems of the DVD not supporting features of a motherboard? What features? anything specific? No, I would imagine not.

The original post was about if he could get a retail DVD that could be used to install in the future on a new motherboard. The correct answer is either NO or a qualified YES.
The correct answer is Yes.

In the future.  you will have to put stuff on a USB stick to help the instal, unless the motherboard just happens be fully compatibly with the old DVD windows.
No. This has ABSOLUTELY no basis in reality. If you want ANYBODY in this thread to give your theory any creedence, you'll need to actually provide real information. For example- what motherboard features are supported by a USB installation but not a DVD installation? Name a single such feature.

The specific case I think about is like this:
You buy a desktop PC with Windows home preloaded.
You like it, but you what to the professional version. Instead of doing a download from the MS store, you  go buy a new retail Windows professional DVD.
Install fails. Only error message is "Invalid product key."
It was documented on the MSN forums.
The moderator on MSN tells you to do it from a USB.
You do. It works.  :)
Link to the thread? That sounds EXACTLY like what would happen if you tried to use anytime upgrade to insert a Retail Windows Pro Key to upgrade a OEM Home Premium.

Please don't tell people it is always easy to install from the retail DVD.
Please back up your nonsense with real, observable facts that you can actually link to. Not vague, handwavey observations based on Forum posts who's specious nature you believe is waived by a tag on their profile.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »
This is complete and absolute nonsense. There are no features of motherboards that a DVD does not handle, because the software is exactly the same.

Perhaps a DVD brings in extra factors - burning at too high a speed, poor quality or counterfeit DVD blanks, careless handling, etc.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 04:07:48 PM »
Please back up your nonsense with real, observable facts that you can actually link to. Not vague, handwavey observations based on Forum posts who's specious nature you believe is waived by a tag on their profile.
He is the moderator of a forum on a Microsoft Social forum.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 04:33:07 PM »
sigh

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »
I've seen enough.

Topic closed.

Anyone who thinks for a legitimate reason it should be re-opened feel free to send me a PM.

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "