Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best AMD CPU for Overcocking  (Read 2666 times)

pcurtj1974

Best AMD CPU for Overcocking
« on: May 05, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »
I have always used Intel with AMD GPU. I want to build an AMD system for the heck of it. What is the best AMD CPU overclocker in the current generations, and what is the best CPU value when considering this? Also, I've always used ATI cards. I would like some input into what I should build with an AMD CPU or APU and a NVIDIA card. I want a good and fast gaming computer to add to my collection...

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Best AMD CPU for Overcocking
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 04:55:22 PM »
For overclocking and AMD you would be looking at any of the FX range and a solid motherboard - Don't bother with an APU for overclocking.

That said, if your budget could afford an Intel i5 or i7 then there is no reason other than the "I want to try AMD" to use an AMD chip, their current generations perform fairly poorly when compared to Intel's offerings, use a lot more power and produce a lot more heat which also makes overclocking more difficult.

pcurtj1974

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:22:04 AM »
Thanks, Yes, it's for no other reason than trying one out. I get the parts at vender cost and that is 4o to 50 % off

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 12:29:51 PM »
Just want to emphasize part of camerongray's post - get a solid board.  The FX chips are power hungry especially when overclocked, so you'll want one with beefy VRMs and beefy cooling.
Have a look here for further information on VRMs - http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database