Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which one?  (Read 3702 times)

Hayds

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Which one?
    « on: May 10, 2014, 07:28:11 PM »
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and very much a newbie when it comes to computers, so I need help choosing.

I am hoping to buy a custom built computer for photo and video editing but I'm not sure what to consider. Also I'm a little nervous of being scamed.
    So far I have two offers. Both are $1000

Offer 1

CPU: Intel i7-4770 Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: 2G nVidia GT 630  Asus

Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 500W ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer

Offer 2

CPU: AMD Fx 8350 8 Core CPU Vishera
    CPU Speed: Stock, Not Overclocked. 4.0 GHz Base clock 4.2 GHz Turbo Clock

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X Universal

Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme 3 V.2 Capable of Quad SLI and Crossfire

Graphics Card: MSI 270x Gaming Edition 2GB

Ram: Single DDR3 Patriot 8GB

Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W Constant Power 80+ Bronze Certified

HDD: WD Blue 1 TB

Case: Cooler Master N400 With Side Mirror (Tinted)

Thoughts?

Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Which one?
    « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »
    Is this $1000 (USD) or some other form of money?

Hayds

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 10:35:45 PM »
      Sorry should have clarified AUS $1000

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 11:05:17 PM »
      Why Windows 8?
      Windows 7 is proven to be solid and reliable.

Hayds

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 01:37:57 AM »
        Just what the offer was.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 06:25:32 AM »
        It really comes down to whether the software you use will benefit from having a powerful video card or not.  The video card in the first machine is weaker but most of the other aspects of the first one are better - It has a better CPU, more RAM and better brand of motherboard.  Does the company at least let you specify some parts to change as you could then go with the first one but with an upgraded video card.

Have you thought about building it yourself or having something built completely to your specifications as this would give you a lot more flexibility?

Why Windows 8?
        Why not Windows 8?  What is the point of buying old software?

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 01:09:56 PM »
        I also agree with Camerons :

Have you thought about building it yourself or having something built completely to your specifications as this would give you a lot more flexibility?

As for if you build it yourself, and get the parts from a good honest parts provider you wont get ripped off.

Building a computer these days is pretty simple. Far easier than when I built my first 286 computer in 1989 out of good parts from dead computers when I couldn't afford $2500 for a new computer, and I had a mixture of 8088 and 80286 guts to mix together. This was before Plug-n-Play and so you had to set jumpers, and dip switches, for IRQ's etc and mess with Autoexec.bat and Config.sys with DOS. And in 1990 I lucked out and found a BocaRAM ISA Memory Expansion Board in a dead system that when plugged into the 16-bit ISA slot it brought my systems memory from 1MB to 4MB. Here is a link to that board... looking at the ad now, I didn't realize that I could have installed 32MB of RAM to this board and potentially had an over kill RAM spec'ed 286 ...LOL http://books.google.com/books?id=xDAEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT19&lpg=PT19&dq=BOCARAM+AT+I/O+PLUS+4mb+ISA&source=bl&ots=2FHVBttq5_&sig=XFjaYaDlfVhDjuifHX1-KEck9_Y&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zMJvU5qzNOvmsASfg4DYDw&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=true

I still remember playing Wolfenstein 3D on this system the September 1992 from a shareware copy of a copy of a copy from friends to friends to me..LOL 

There are many how to videos on youtube to view before you get your hands into the hardware too if you want to know what to do etc, if you decide to build your own. Most motherboards these days do not require any jumper changes as for the default jumper settings are correct for 99% of the configurations out there. Memory is keyed with a notch and will only install one way, as well as everything else these days is also keyed so you cant install it backwards unless extremely forceful to fight it out with the connection.

Personally I enjoy building a new system from the ground up. I also like to save money and not pay others to do something that I can do myself.

When it comes to custom built systems, you have to be careful as for some businesses will try to make a system look like a great deal and its a good CPU with the rest of the guts low quality and so the system works for1 year and dies and none of it is in warranty, while another better system builder will avoid motherboards like Foxconn, Asrock, and MSI and stick with GigaByte, ASUS, and Biostar for builds.

Note: Biostar is an OK brand, however their boards are OK for normal builds. If you plan on overclocking, even though many Biostar motherboards will support overclocking, its best to go with GigaByte or ASUS for boards that are going to be driven hard. I have owned many Biostar motherboards with no flaws in the last 10 years, however I was warned by a person about pushing the boards too hard with overclocking because the VRM's may overheat near the CPU. However if its a Biostar with heatsinks on the VRM's ( not common to find on Biostar boards ) they can be driven harder with overclocks. I have 2 Biostar motherboards that have been running a 10% overclock however which are cheap $50 motherboards and they haven't had any problems. I did not adjust voltages or multiplier which is locked, I only overclocked the FSB some to gain 10% faster performance.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 01:47:54 PM »
        I'd just add onto this that http://au.pcpartpicker.com/ is an absolutely brilliant resource for selecting parts for a PC - It contains a lot of builds that others have done to give you ideas and will help you pick compatible parts by only showing ones that are compatible with the other parts you already have.

infiniytMC1999

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 06:55:28 AM »
          I'd just like to add that video and picture making/editing can eat up a lot of hard drive space you may wan't to get a 2 or 3 TB hard drive. By the time you have your OS and other applications it doesn't leave you with much space to work with.

Good luck :)
          I do know that I messed up my username it's meant to be infinityMC1999 I made my account really late at night :P