Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: crashed HP desktop need some troubleshooting advice  (Read 2389 times)

Pfreddie

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    crashed HP desktop need some troubleshooting advice
    « on: July 18, 2014, 11:10:48 AM »
    Hi My HP desktop just crashed. Suddenly the screen was filled with 10 or more columns of numbers scrolling down the screen. No keys affected this behavior. I shut down manually. I attempted to restart normally and with my recovery disk. my screen remains blank. any advice I would like to Identify the failure if I can.  For example is my hard drive still functional.  (before I go shopping)?
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:21:26 AM by Pfreddie »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: crashed HP desktop need some troubleshooting advice
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »
    What were you running when this system crashed like this?

This sounds very odd that you had scrolling columns with numbers.

If nothing is displayed including the HP logo not displayed at boot:

If your system has a video card added and integrated video as an option, remove the video card and connect to the integrated video instead. If problem solved then its either bad video card or power supply is weak. If problem remains or you do not have a video card to remove then continue to nect steps.

I'd remove and reseat the memory sticks with the computer off and then try to boot. If still a black screen shut down and then if you have more than 1 memory stick installed, remove all but 1 stick and try to boot. If still a black screen shut it down again and try to boot with the other spare stick.

Last effort is if a spare power supply is available to swap out with this system.

* Your hard drive may still be good with a computer that is dead. You can always buy a new computer and buy an external hard drive enclosure and install the hard drive from this system into the enclosure and be able to access your data on the new computer. Sometimes you need to take ownership of files and folders though depending on how you had your system configured.