Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cleaning off Old thermo Paste  (Read 2523 times)

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Cleaning off Old thermo Paste
    « on: August 24, 2014, 04:35:02 AM »
    Not sure if I am in the right forum, might need to be in other.... I have a bad motherboard from an old build but I want to save the cpu, (i5 2500k) what's the best way to clean the thermo paste off the cpu? Q-tip with rubbing alcohol?. Wanted to ask you guys before I attempt removing paste. Thanks!!!!

Salmon Trout

Re: Cleaning off Old thermo Paste
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 05:17:03 AM »
    91% or better isopropyl alcohol (pharmacy will sell, may ask what you want it for) is preferred but rubbing alcohol will do. Both these chemicals and their vapours can be TOXIC (make you ill) and FLAMMABLE (catch fire easily like gasoline!) and should be used sparingly in a well ventilated area and you should stop and get into fresh air if you feel sick or nauseous or get a headache, and keep pets and kids well away (like out of the same room). For getting it off, paper cut from coffee filters, cotton buds work but can leave residue ("Q-Tips" are one brand) , clean soft toothbrush can be handy, lint free cloth like supplied for cleaning eyeglasses, LCD screens, etc. Can scrape with razor blade (careful not to scratch surfaces or cut self, old credit card may be better) Canned air to help remove residue. Clean up well afterward.

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Cleaning off Old thermo Paste
      « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:54:18 AM »
      Thanks Salmon.