Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Macrium Reflect Free Edition  (Read 2572 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Macrium Reflect Free Edition
    « on: August 20, 2014, 01:51:10 AM »
    A year or so ago I successfully restored my C drive backup image onto a new internal HD. I can not remember the details though. Yesterday I was trying to use Reflect Free Edition to image an external HardDrive and restore that image onto another external HardDrive. Thought that would be faster/easier than copy/paste. Neither the source or destination external drives are partitioned. I could not do the restore because I kept getting an error message that the source image could not be found. I have watched several YouTube videos and read the Macrium forums and can not understand what is going wrong. I do know the major limitation of the Free Edition is that it can only image/restore whole partitions. Is that my problem? Do I have to store my back-up images in separate partitions? Right now I do not. My back-up images are in folders along with other folders on my external HardDrive. Similarly, does the destination drive have to be a separate partition with 100% unallocated space? IOW, is it not possible to restore an image onto a drive which already has other folders/files on it? Finally, one of the videos talked about initializing drives. Neither of the external harddrives have been initialized although both are recognized by my PC. Thanks for your help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Macrium Reflect Free Edition
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:13:10 PM »
    Biggest issue is usually USB connectivity ( drivers loaded ) at the lowest level such as DOS or Linux command shell, which then allows for the system to access the external HDD's data. Otherwise you can get file not found errors because it can not access the file.

Are you using a boot cd or dvd to get an OS loaded with the driver support for accessing the external HDD that is USB?